We use cookies on your computer or mobile device to help make this website better. You can find out what Cookies we use and how you can change your settings here. Our Data Protection Policy has been updated.

By closing this window, we’ll assume you’re okay to continue.


        Complaints and compliments

        Complaints and compliments

        We value your views on our services. If you wish to submit a complaint or a compliment please use our online form.

        If you are making a complaint please read the guidance below of how this will be processed.

        What happens to my complaints form - Stage One?

        An acknowledgement will be sent within two working days stating when to expect a response.

        Your complaint will be investigated by the relevant service manager and you will receive a response from the Executive Support Unit within ten working days.

        If necessary we may need to contact you to obtain further information to assist us in the investigation.

        If you are not happy with our response, you may write to us with your reasons within  ten working days of receiving it, to request a further review.


        What happens next - Stage Two?

        When the further contact is received setting out the reasons you remain dissatisfied it will be acknowledged within two working days.  

        The complaint will be investigated by a Head of Service or Director and the response will be sent to you from the Executive Support Unit within twenty working days.

        If the complaint is complex the investigation may take longer, but we will keep you informed and will let you know the reasons for any delay.

        You can submit a complaint via email to  in writing to Customer Feedback, Thanet District Council, PO Box 9, Cecil Street, Margate, Kent, CT9 1XZ or contact us by telephone:- (01843) 577000.

        If you are not happy with the result of this process then you may wish to contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.


        How do I contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman?

        If you have been through both stage one and stage two of the complaints process and remain dissatisfied and feel the matter has not been handled properly you can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to request an independent investigation.

        The Ombudsman will receive details of your complaint and decide if it is appropriate to take up the matter on your behalf with the Council. This service is free of charge.

        Information on the role of the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman can be found


        Contact information for The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman:

        • Call us on 0300 061 0614 for help making a complaint
        • Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02) from both mobiles and landlines, and will be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes in the same way as geographic calls
        • Text ‘call back’ to 0762 481 1595
        • You may be charged by your provider for sending the text message
        • Use a textphone via the Next Generation Text Service (formerly known as Text Relay and Typetalk)
        • Lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm (except public holidays)
        • Calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes


        If you have a complaint, please use this form

        Other types of enquiries:

        • If you would like to make a new complaint by post, please call us and we can tell you how to complain – 0300 061 0614

        Did you find this page useful?