Dreamland is one of the key sites in Margate's regeneration.
Following the successful opening of Turner Contemporary, which is attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors to the town, it is now more important than ever to bring Dreamland fully back into use.
Thanet District Council is working in partnership with the Dreamland Trust to create a world first for the site, an amusement park of thrilling historic rides, with classic sideshows, vintage cafes, restaurants, special events and gardens. Once one of the UK's premier amusement parks, Dreamland is fondly remembered by many and the Dreamland Trust's plans for the new Dreamland aim to build on this.
The project has already received £3 million worth of funding from the council and £3 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The council submitted the application to the government's Sea Change Fund, which awarded the project a total of £3.8 million. This funding depends on the council getting a long lease on the site.
Sadly, as this was not possible, the council served a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) on the site in 2011.
CPO - the sequence of events
- Thanet District Council served a CPO on the site in June 2011.
- The landowners affected by the Compulsory Purchase Order were contacted and objections to the Order were received in writing.
- As a result, a Public Inquiry was held January - March 2012.
- The Planning Inspector submitted his report to the Secretary of State in July 2012.
- The council received approval from the Secretary of State (for Communities and Local Government) for the CPO in August 2012.
- The landowners launched a legal appeal challenging the decision by the Secretary of State. A two day hearing took place at the High Court in London on Wednesday 20 and Thursday 21 March 2013.
- This challenge was dismissed by the High Court in ruling given on Thursday 2 May 2013.
- The landowners appealed the High Court decision - late May 2013.
- Cabinet agree to authorise a General Vesting Declaration - 1 August 2013
- The Dreamland site transferred to Thanet District Council - 3 September 2013
- Court of Appeal hearing - 25 September 2013
- Court of Appeal ruling which dismisses the appeal - 8 October 2013
CPO - the documents
Work on the Dreamland Cinema building
Urgently needed work is also being carried out on behalf of the council to help preserve the Dreamland Cinema building.
Part of the iconic Dreamland sign was illuminated over the Christmas 2011 period.
The history of the Dreamland site
Dreamland has a rich and varied history, dating back to the 1920s. As a result of this, it is now home to three listed buildings: