Outlined below are more details of the various projects approved as part of the Ramsgate Futures Levelling Up Funding bid.
Green Port - Port infrastructure
- Investing in the Port is the quickest way to support an increase in employment for Ramsgate, 39% of survey respondents selected ‘investment to support the regeneration of the Port of Ramsgate’ as their first choice priority.
- The project includes site clearance and remediation, dockside infrastructure and new berthing infrastructure, including the ro-ro berth and mooring spine.
- A new rock breakwater will create shelter from prevailing tides to enable expanded, safer and more efficient wind farm servicing. This investment has the ability to support diversification and innovation for the wind farm operators.
- Create clear zones within the port area, identifying each zone’s current use or the potential for new usage.
Green Port - Green Campus
- Create a Green Campus that benefits from the private sector businesses already located in the Port of Ramsgate, including wind farm operators.
- Create a centre of excellence for marine engineering, with a skills training centre and business centre. Maximise the benefit of its location and network across the public, private and education sectors.
- The centre will focus on marine engineering, innovation in low carbon technologies and offer a hub for green businesses.
Inclusive Harbour - The Smack Boys building
- Refurbish the Smack Boys building, creating a boutique events venue and restaurant with rooms.
- Develop a training model which provides new career pathways and training opportunities.
- Use this new venue to provide high quality careers training in the hospitality industry.
Inclusive Harbour - Fishing facilities
- Develop new quayside fishing facilities to enable freezing and processing of daily catches, as well as facilitating the creation of a fish market and restaurant.
- Working with stakeholders, it is understood that modernisation of the infrastructure is key to the success of the local fishing fleet.
- The aim is to revitalise the fishing industry in Ramsgate and provide an avenue to create new jobs and business opportunities.
Inclusive Harbour - Clock House and Pier Yard
- Working with key stakeholders, look at refurbishing the Grade II listed Clock House, to create a cultural heritage exhibition space and public café.
- Transform the Pier Yard Car Park into a new town square, taking into account access requirements.
- The aim will be to create a vibrant new public space, for people to congregate in and where they can appreciate the beauty of the area.
Assets to connect to opportunities
- The aim will be to establish a physical and digital presence, in two deprived neighbourhoods, to support outreach and training.
- Working with partners, it will provide the opportunity to directly link Ramsgate’s residents to the new employment opportunities being created through the Levelling Up Fund projects.