Council Tax energy rebate

The government is providing a £150 rebate to Council Tax payers in bands A-D (and E if in receipt of disabled persons reduction) to help with rising energy costs. This is a one-off payment and is not a reduction in Council Tax. It will not show on your Council Tax bill and it will not have to be repaid.

If you receive full Council Tax Support and don’t pay Council Tax, you will still be eligible to receive the rebate, providing you satisfy the other conditions.

We have also been provided funding for a discretionary support scheme.

This page is updated with the latest information about the energy rebate scheme. Please don’t call us to discuss the scheme as we are unable to give any further information than is on this page.

If you don’t pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

If you are eligible and don’t pay by Direct Debit, you should have now received a letter asking you to provide your bank account details using the form below. If you have recently contacted us and we haven’t yet replied or processed your change, you may receive your letter later in June.

We can only pay the money into your bank account. We can’t pay you any other way.

Please don’t complete this form until you have received your letter; if you haven’t yet received your letter, the form may not work for you.

Because of the number of people using the form, you might have trouble accessing it. If you do, please try again later.

If you have completed the online form and received a letter to say your bank details have failed verification

The bank doesn’t tell us why your bank details have failed verification checks. The main reasons that the verification will fail are:

  • The name on the bank account does not match the name on the Council Tax records/rebate request form.
  • All checks rely on banks signing up to a data-sharing agreement. Some banks have not signed up and accounts held at those banks will fail the check.
  • Accounts that are less than three months old.
  • Accounts over 30 years old.

The £150 energy rebate scheme payment will be added to your Council Tax account and you will receive a new bill in July showing your new, reduced instalments. If you would like to receive the £150 rather than it be taken off your Council Tax bill, you must complete a Council Tax refund form

If you pay by Direct Debit

If you are eligible for the rebate and pay by Direct Debit, we should have now paid the £150 into the account from which your Direct Debits are taken. We may not have been able to do this if one of the following applies to you:

  • you have reported a change in circumstances that we haven’t yet processed
  • we haven’t yet received at least one Council Tax payment by Direct Debit from your bank account
  • the surname on your bank account doesn’t match the name on your Council Tax account – we are only allowed to pay your bank account if your name is an exact match to your Council Tax account. During our preparation, we identified several cases where there are small spelling differences. We have now updated these and we will pay your rebate into your bank account after your next Direct Debit payment has been taken. If your name on your bank account is completely different to that of your Council Tax account, we will write to you
  • we are investigating if your property is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) for Council Tax purposes.

If any of these apply to you, we may need to contact you for more information, or we may pay your bank account directly at a later date.

Discretionary support scheme

The council has decided to use the discretionary fund to support vulnerable households in the district, as follows;

  • Award £150 to all recipients of Council Tax Support who live in properties in Council Tax Bands E to H
  • Award an additional £35 to all households in Council Tax Bands A to D where maximum Council Tax Support is in payment.

We are paying all Council Tax band A-D households that pay Council Tax by Direct Debit in April and May and the rest of the band A-D households in June. Then we will pay the discretionary scheme to qualifying households in July. The council will identify the relevant households and start making the discretionary payments from July so there is no need for anybody to apply.

Any household who needs help or advice with energy costs can get more information on our energy in the home page

Some properties are not eligible for the rebate:

  • Exempt properties – properties that are exempt from Council Tax (except student households, properties occupied only by people under the age of 18, properties occupied only by severely mentally impaired people, and annexes occupied by dependent relatives)
  • Empty properties – unoccupied properties that are unfurnished
  • Second homes – unoccupied properties that are furnished and used as a second home
  • Properties where the person responsible for paying the Council Tax (or would be were the property not exempt) is a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

If a rebate has been awarded to a property but it has not been claimed by a householder by 30 June 2022, we may allocate the household payment against the Council Tax account.

Overdrawn accounts – First right of appropriation

We will pay your energy rebate payment into the bank account you tell us about. We are currently making payments on a weekly basis.   If that account is overdrawn, when we pay the £150 into the account your bank may ‘swallow up’ the funds, to pay for any fees and charges you have incurred with them. If that applies to you, you may wish to consider using the ‘First right of appropriation’. 

More details on this can be found on the Money Advice Hub website

If this applies to you, contact your Bank for further advice on how you apply.

Scam alert

We have been made aware of some scam calls about the government’s £150 Council Tax energy rebate. We will not call you over the phone to take payment or bank details, nor will we ask for any other personal information over the phone about this.

If you are in any doubt please call us on 01843 577558. If you have been a victim please contact us and the Police straight away, and report it to Action Fraud.

Council Tax energy rebate leaflet

(updated 16/06/2022)

Help & support

Did you find this page useful?