We use cookies on your computer or mobile device to help make this website better. You can find out what Cookies we use and how you can change your settings here. Our Data Protection Policy has been updated.

By closing this window, we’ll assume you’re okay to continue.


        Help to buy scheme

        Help to buy

        Many people find it too expensive to buy their own home.  What help is available?

        Help to Buy is a Government-backed scheme that helps people to buy a home by offering equity loans to supplement a mortgage.  A housing association called bpha is delivering this service in the East and South East of England on behalf of the Homes and Communities Agency.

        Whether you are looking to get onto the housing ladder or move up it, there are a number of Help to Buy products designed to make buying a home more affordable, including:

        Shared ownership – New build and Re-sales

        Depending on how much you can afford, shared ownership allows you to buy a percentage share of a property while a local housing association retains the other share.

        It is sometimes known as “part-buy part-rent” because you will then be charged a rental payment on the remaining share owned by the housing association. In most cases shared owners can choose to buy additional shares later on to increase their equity.

        Equity loans

        The Help to Buy equity loan is designed to help you purchase specific new-build properties priced up to £600,000 from participating registered developers with as little as a 5% deposit.

        The Government lends you up to 20% of the cost of your new-build home, so you’ll only need to provide a 5% cash deposit and a 75% mortgage to make up the rest. You also won’t be charged loan fees on the 20% loan for the first five years of owning your home.


        How can I find out more?

        The local agent to contact if you are interested in these scheme is bpha.  For more information please either:

        Shared ownership homes are becoming available in St Nicholas-at-Wade and Garlinge later in 2019.


        Am I eligible?

        Visit the Help to Buy website to find out if you are eligible to apply for the Shared Ownership Scheme and view available properties too.


        Help & support

        Did you find this page useful?