Legal action by Thanet District Council has seen magistrates dish out over £12,000 worth of fines and costs to 35 people found guilty of littering.
The prosecutions took place on 29 November 2016 at Canterbury Magistrates’ Court as part of a council clampdown on people polluting the district.
All 35 offenders ignored the local authority’s fixed penalty notice of £80 and two warning letters sent following the missed payment deadline, leaving the council with no alternative but to take the cases to court.
Councillor Suzanne Brimm, Cabinet Member for Operational Services said: “People need to take littering very seriously and think about the knock-on effect it has on other people and our environment. Prosecutions take up a lot of time and money, but if that’s what it takes to make Thanet the best possible place for our residents, then we will do it.”
Found guilty of littering in court
Each person listed below was fined £220 plus £120 costs and £30 victim surcharge.
Total bill each: £370:
- Joel Balsom, 31 of St Augustines Road, Ramsgate
- Charine Butterworth, 18 of Grange Road, Ramsgate
- Danielle Chapman, 26 of Chatham Street, Ramsgate
- Lauren Cooper, 26 of Godwin Road, Margate
- Marian Danila, 36 of Segal Close, Margate
- Jennifer Davis, 31 of Brunswick Street, Ramsgate
- Ian Honeyball, 40 of High Street, Margate
- Callum Humprys, 19 of Fulham Avenue, Margate
- Vikki James, 38 of Manston Court Road, Ramsgate
- Davis Kamure, 35 of Abbey Road, London
- Jennifer Keeler, 31 of Winstanley Crescent, Ramsgate
- Jamila Kosova, 46 of Dalby Square Margate
- Fae Lalor, 22 of Dundonald Road, Broadstairs
- Details removed
- Anastasios Marinica, 21 of Victoria Road, Margate
- Simon Mellin, 49 of Lorne Road, Ramsgate
- Aleksandr Melmiciuk, 28 of High Street, Margate
- Carol Perkins, 49 of Pound Lane, London
- Lorrane Philpott, 40 of Marlowe Road, Margate
- Sandra Robinson, 55 of Cordingham Close, Whitstable
- Kieron Sackett, 21 of Swinford Gardens, Margate
- Keri Saunders, 18 of Kirkstone Avenue, Ramsgate
- Asparuh Stoyanou, 34 of High Street, Margate
- Victoria Tomkins, 45 of Norfolk Road, Margate
- Cassia Weaver, 31 of Grove Vale, London
- Timothy Wilks, 44 of Birling Avenue, Maidstone
- Lesley Woodards, 56 of Clifton Street, Margate
- Details removed
- Natalie Wyche, 30 of Newington Road, Ramsgate
- Rebecca Damen, 49, of Fort Crescent, Margate. Fined £147 with £120 costs and £20 victim surcharge. Total: £287.
- David Mamby, 49, of Boundary Road, Ramsgate. Fined £147 with £120 costs and £20 victim surcharge. Total: £287.
- Jade Marston, 24, of Trinity Square, Margate. Fined £147 with £120 costs and £20 victim surcharge. Total: £287.
- Chloe Rowe, 20 of Trinity Square, Margate. Fines £147 with £120 costs and £20 victim surcharge. Total: £287.
- Dominie Smith, 33 of Appledore Close, Margate. Fined £147 with £120 costs and £20 victim surcharge. Total: £287.
- Lynne Waple, 63 of Tivoli Road Margate. Fined £80 with £120 costs and £20 victim surcharge. Total: £220.
- There will be no warnings.
- If you drop litter - including cigarette butts or chewing gum - you will be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice of £80.
- Not having a bin to hand is not an excuse for littering.
- The offence is complete once the item is deposited and left.
- Placing a cigarette end down a drain is still an offence which will result in a fine.
- That you can use bins without ashtrays, extinguish the cigarette first, then place it in the bin.
- If a littering case goes to court, an offender risks receiving a fine of up to £2,500.