Council Tax bands and charges

The amount of Council Tax you pay depends on:

  • the Council Tax band your property has been given
  • the area that you live in
  • if you are entitled to any discounts or exemptions that can help reduce your Council Tax payments.

Council Tax charges

What is a band?

The band for your home is printed on your Council Tax bill. The banding is decided by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), not the council.

The VOA places every home into a band based on roughly what its selling price would have been on 1 April 1991. Because Council Tax valuations are based on this, any changes in the property market prices will not affect the banding of your property.

The current bands for England are:

Valuation bandValue on 1 April 1991
A Up to and including £40,000 
B Over £40,000 and up to £52,000
C Over £52,000 and up to £68,000
D Over £68,000 and up to £88,000 
E Over £88,000 and up to £120,000
F Over £120,000 and up to £160,000 
G Over £160,000 and up to £320,000 
H Over £320,000