Can you give me homelessness and housing advice?

We can provide housing advice to help you to avoid losing your home, or help if you are homeless.

  • You may have difficulties paying your rent or mortgage.
  • You may have family disputes.
  • You may be suffering harassment or abuse, from your partner or neighbours.

Your first step - contact us

Request advice now using our online form.

You can also email, and we will give you housing advice. 

At the Thanet Gateway Plus

Contact your landlord

If you are living in a privately rented property or social housing and are having problems paying your rent, you should contact your landlord as soon as possible before the situation gets worse. 

If you have had a drop in your household income you may be entitled to help with your rent through Local Housing Allowance

Get help with your Rent

Local Housing Allowances (LHA) - what am I entitled to?

We can also give you advice on the benefits you may be entitled to.

Find out about Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

Porchlight Homeless Prevention Service

If you are single, or a couple, this new service may be able to stop you becoming homeless.  

The council has been successful in securing government funding along with Shepway and Dover councils to enable us to work alongside the Porchlight charity, to help people as early as possible and prevent homelessness.

Please contact Porchlight's helpline, stating you want the Porchlight Homeless Prevention Service, on 08005677699.

Homelessness and LGBT+ people

Those of us who identify as LGBT+ may experience extra difficulties in finding somewhere to live, especially if you are a young person.  Contact the Housing Options Team for advice, or use the online form above if its outside office hours.

Help and advice is also available from other organisations and charities: 

Brook  Sexual health services and advice for young people under 25.

Stonewall Advice and support

Mermaids Transgender support

Aven  The Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) for asexual people.

Shelter Homelessness Charity in Kent

Need help finding a place to live?

We will try to help provide advice and information to those people who are homeless or are threatened with homelessness.  Please contact the Housing Options team to discuss how best you can find accommodation.

Find information about local private letting agents

Finding alternative accommodation – Help to Move Scheme

If you fear that you may become homeless, we will help you to stay in your home where this is possible. If you do need to move out, the Housing Options team staff will tell you how we can help.

The Help to Move Scheme is one option that may be discussed with you. The Bond Scheme is designed to help households threatened with homelessness, to secure private rented accommodation. 

We will help you look for a suitable property and if you feel happy with it then, in some cases, we can help with a Bond. Not everyone is eligible for the Scheme, it will depend on your individual circumstances.

Domestic Abuse

You may have to leave your home because of abuse from a partner or other family member.  There are  various organisations that can help you, Find out about support services in Kent.

If you are in immediate danger then telephone 999 and ask for the police.

If you want to talk to someone today, phone the National Domestic Violence Helpline free on 0808 2000 247 (24 hours service).  This phone line is run by the Womens Aid and Refuge charities.

Cover your tracks on line Cover your internet activity from an abuser.

Do you want to break the cycle of your own bad behaviour?  You must take responsibility for for your actions and choose to stop being a perpetrator of domestic violence or abuse.  Get help help to do this.