Aids and Adaptations

Disabled Adaptations

If you need adaptations to your home and you are a Thanet District Council tenant, we may be able to provide them. These can include small items like grab rails, bannisters and lever taps. Or larger items like stairlifts, flush floor showers or ramps.

We work with Kent County Council (KCC) Social Services to enable tenants to live independently by:

  • providing a range of adaptations to support independence.
  • supporting discharge from hospital or respite care, if adaptations will help residents to return home.
  • making sure that adapted homes are used effectively.

If you need an adaptation, contact the KCC Occupational Therapy department. They will arrange a visit to assess your needs.

We can only consider a request from an occupational therapist (OT).

You can complete an online self referral form for KCC Occupational Therapy on their website: KCC Care Needs Assessment

Email: social.services@kent.gov.uk
Telephone: 03000416161 – Monday to Friday 9am-5pm

When we receive a referral from an OT, we will aim to make a decision about if we can carry out the adaptation within 28 working days. This can sometimes take longer if we need to make structurals surveys, for example.
If we refuse a request we will tell you the reason why. If we can’t carry out adaptations which are vital for your independence in your home, we can help you find somewhere that is suitable.
Adaptations depend on the construction of the property, health and safety regulations, and a fire safety assessment.

If the adaptation is refused, you will receive a letter telling you why. If you think the decision is incorrect, you can appeal the decision by responding to the letter.


Please contact Mears

  • text ‘thanetrepairs’ then your message, to 63277
  • email thanet.repairs@mearsgroup.co.uk
  • call FREEPHONE 0800 023 4320
  • if you have problems contacting Mears, you can reach the Tenant and Leaseholder Services team on 01843 577 262 or by email myhome@thanet.gov.uk

If you are not a Thanet District Council (TDC) tenant we can’t install any adaptations.

TDC Leaseholders are not eligible for this service. But you can contact the KCC Occupational Therapy service for recommendations.

Anyone can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant, see our step-by step guide.


Thanet District Council (TDC) cannot advise on the suitability of equipment. We can only install adaptations as recommended by a Kent County Council (KCC) Occupational Therapist. For example, a simple grab rail could be requested but the occupational therapist might recommend additional adaptations.

TDC is a district council not a unitary authority and as such is not responsible for social care. KCC are responsible for the social care of Kent residents.


We use the term ‘disabled person’ as defined by The Equality Act 2010.

‘Someone who has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.’

A long-term adverse effect refers to disabilities that:

  • Last for 12 months or longer.
  • Are likely to last for the remainder of a person’s life.

Occupational therapists (OTs) and other professionals are required to confirm that all criteria apply to each assessment submitted to TDC for consideration.

Regard has been given to the relevant statutory provisions and requirements mentioned in:

  • The Care Act 2014
  • The Equalities Act 2010
  • The Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970
  • The Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996, as amended by the Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order 2002

Thanet District Council does not fund appliances and portable specialist equipment (including ceiling track hoists). These are the responsibility of the tenant or KCC Social Services.

We will not install specialist free standing equipment. This is a KCC Social Service responsibility.

Bath and shower stretchers that are fixed to the structure of the property will only be considered if we can’t find an alternative.


We can’t provide storage or make alterations for a mobility scooter. This would not be supported by an occupational therapist. Adaptations for motorised wheelchairs can be made. But only if deemed necessary by an occupational therapist.


We could refuse an application because the tenant making the request is:

  • under threat of eviction.
  • in rent arrears [risk of eviction]
  • in an overcrowded property.
  • under-occupying the property by two or more bedrooms.
  • waiting for a transfer or mutual exchange.

We could also refuse an application because a tenant has:

  • made an application for Right to Buy for the property.
  • left another property with suitable adaptations within five years.
  • suitable alternative accommodation available within 12 months.

If the property is:

  • not suitable for the adaptations requested.
  • not owned by Thanet District Council.
  • is used as temporary housing.
  • a leasehold property.

Or if the adaptation requested is within a communal area.


For any queries about the progress of an installation, please contact Mears:

If you have problems contacting Mears, you can reach the Tenant and Leaseholder Services team on 01843 577 262 or by email myhome@thanet.gov.uk


Permission is needed to make any alterations to your home.



Extensions and/or conversions are subject to planning and building control approvals. They will only be considered under the following circumstances:

  • where the property can be adapted to meet the tenant’s needs.
  • the costs are reasonable.
  • the adaptation is likely to have an on-going future demand.
  • there is no other alternative (including re-housing).
  • All other options will be explored before we will approve off road hard standing adaptations.
  • These requests are subject to approval by Thanet District Council Planning, and Kent County Council Highways departments.

Our aids and adaptations policy can be found on our policies webpage.


Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.