Can you help with temporary accommodation?

Temporary accommodation is housing such as Bed and Breakfast (B&B) or hostel accommodation that may be used in an emergency to accommodate households who are homeless.

Who pays for temporary accommodation?

Temporary accommodation is not free.  You will be expected to pay for whatever type of temporary accommodation we provide for you.  If you fail to pay you could be evicted.  This could affect the housing duty the council has toward you.

Claiming Housing Benefit

If you are on Income Support or a low income you will probably need help with paying for your temporary accommodation.  You may be able to apply for Housing Benefit to help pay for rented accommodation, but not for any gas or electricity charges.

Types Of Temporary Accommodation

We will do our best to offer you the most suitable option we have available.  We use various types of temporary accommodation including Bed & Breakfast.

Bed and Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast accommodation is used for short-term stays only and although not ideal it may be the only option available if you need to be placed in an emergency.

Refusing Temporary Accommodation

If we make you a reasonable offer of temporary accommodation while we investigate your homeless application, our housing duty towards you may end if you refuse it.  You may appeal against this decision if you feel it is unreasonable.

Furniture and Goods

It may not be possible for you to take all your belongings into temporary accommodation with you.  If you are unable to arrange for storage, and are worried about the cost, please contact the Housing Options team for details on how we can help.


It is not possible to take pets into temporary accommodation (except guide dogs).  If possible, you should arrange for your pets to be temporarily looked after by friends or family.  If this is not possible please speak to the Housing Options team who will look at an alternative.

How long can you expect to stay in Temporary Accommodation?

Once we have taken your homeless application, we will try and work as quickly as possible.  You can help by supplying us with complete and accurate information at the time of your application.  If our investigation shows that we have a housing duty towards you, you may have to remain in temporary accommodation until permanent housing can be found for you.

Please note - Families cannot stay in B&B longer than six weeks. If our investigations conclude that you are intentionally homeless, you will need to look for alternative accommodation and our Housing Options team will help you do so.

A Permanent Home

Permanent housing is in short supply and we hold a Housing Register of all those applying for Social Housing.  If we are able to offer you a permanent home it may be;

  • A Council Home
  • A Housing Association property
  • Tenancy in a private sector

Other useful websites