Complain about a councillor

Standards Complaints

Members of the public concerned about the conduct of Thanet District Councillors or Town/Parish Councillors can make complaints directly to Thanet District Council’s Standards Committee.

Changes to Local Code of Conduct and Complaints against Councillors

From July 2012 all Councils will be adopting a new 'light touch' Code of Conduct for Councillors which will replace existing Regulations.

All Councillors have to keep to a Code of Conduct to ensure they maintain the high ethical standards the public expect from them. If a complainant reveals that a potential breach of this Code has taken place, Thanet District Council’s Standards Committee may refer the allegations for investigation or decide to take other action.

What kind of complaints does the standards committee consider? 

The Standards Committee can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a member.  It will not deal with complaints about things that are not covered by the Members’ Code of Conduct, such as maladministration.  If you make a complaint to the Standards Committee it must be about why you think a Councillor has not followed the Code of Conduct.  

In assessing whether or not a breach of the Code of Conduct has occurred the Standards Committee will have regard to assessment criteria approved by the Standards Committee. 

Once cases have been investigated, the authority's independently-chaired Standards Committee will decide what action, if any, should be taken against the member. 

Complain to the standards committee 

To complain about the conduct of a member of Thanet District Council or a member of one of the Parish or Town Councils in Thanet, please complete our online standards complaint form. 

If you prefer to submit your complaint in writing, please download a complaint form and return to The Monitoring Officer, FAO Chair of the Standards Committee,  Thanet District Council, PO Box 9, Cecil Street, Margate, Kent, CT9 1XZ.