This Christmas, we want to encourage everyone to shop and eat local! Through the Welcome Back Fund, the council is running a dedicated campaign to raise awareness of the benefits that shopping on the high street can have on the local economy and to encourage more people to use the district’s local high streets throughout the festive season.
The campaign also aims to give local businesses the opportunity to raise their profiles amongst local residents, which will play a key part in increasing footfall.
All campaign activities will be recognisable as they will feature a festive illustration – an adaptation of the popular Respect, Protect, Enjoy logo which was created for the council’s summer awareness campaign. Residents can expect to see the festive design on posters, buses and on social media in the run up to Christmas.
Why is it important to shop local?
Six reasons why we should support our local highstreets:
– There are a wealth of independent shops and eateries on your doorstep that need your support more than ever.
– Boost your town or village economy and help keep the stores open to thrive. For every £1 spent with a small or medium-sized business, 63p stays in the local economy, compared to 40p with a larger business.
– A wide variety of independent shops and eateries enable you to find unique and creative gifts that stand out from the crowd.
– Inviting and characterful eateries offer a great culinary experience not too far from home.
– Reduce your carbon footprint and help the environment by not travelling out of town to shop.
– A more enjoyable shopping experience avoiding the crowds, traffic and delivery dramas.Permalink
Thanet's First Shop Local Advent Calendar
Festive shop window competition
Be part of an Instagram poll which will feature in a weekly public vote on the best festive shop window displays across Thanet. Don’t forget to follow @OfficialThanetCouncil on Instagram.
The winning business will be named ‘Local Business of the Week’ on community radio station Academy FM.
We’ll be tagging all posts with #ShopEatLocalThanet, so please get involved on social media too!Permalink
Free Saturday parking
Thanet's Festive Business Directory
There are hundreds of fantastic shops and eateries on high streets across Thanet. To help people find them, we have created a visual directory of all businesses on our database.
Shops and eateries have been grouped according to their town in Thanet, and also what they offer customers.
If you would like your business to be added to the directory, please email email@example.com.Permalink
Free poster downloads for businesses
Download Shop & Eat Local this Christmas posters for your local business
Help share the campaign by downloading a range of branded printable posters for your shop windows and noticeboards.
You can select as many pages of the document to print according to your preferred poster design(s). Options in the document include:
- ‘Our Festive Offer’
- ‘Thank you for supporting your local highstreet this Christmas’
- ‘Buy everything you need this Christmas, all within walking distance’
- ‘Discover an artist, maker or creator from your town this Christmas…shop local, feel good!’
- ‘Buy gifts made by people in your area & support small businesses’
- ’63p of every £1 spent in a local business stays in the local economy’
We have also added a range of ‘Please wear a mask when asked’ posters here:
Placing these posters in your shop windows can help reinforce the wider signage and advertising which can be seen across our towns, on buses and on the radio for this campaign.