Alternative housing options


The government created the Help to Buy schemes including Help to Buy: Shared Ownership and Help to Buy: Equity Loan to help hard-working people take steps to buy their own home.

With the government’s Help to Buy: Shared Ownership scheme you can buy as little as 25% or as much as 75% of a home and pay rent on the rest.

You can find out more information about the Help to Buy Scheme here.

Older persons accommodation

Sheltered housing over 50’s

Sheltered housing is available to anyone over 50 who wants to continue to live an independent life but would benefit from the support offered by an area warden.

Sheltered housing can provide support to those who require some assistance to their mobility or health problems and can include a lifeline service.

Sheltered housing is allocated to those on the Housing Register who have provided documents and information of their mobility or health issues and meet the age criteria, and includes a simple assessment carried out by staff.

Extra care housing

If you need additional support, there are a few schemes in Thanet that provide tenants with independent living in a communal scheme along with 24-hour care and support services.

To apply you’ll need to make an application via KentHomeChoice.

For more information visit the Housing21 website and West Kent Housing

Supported housing

Supported Housing is for people who need guidance and assistance with managing education, training, employment, and life management skills.Porchlight provide offers much needed support to these specialist groups.

Mutual Exchange

If you’re an existing social housing tenant you may be able to mutually exchange with another existing social tenant. You are a social housing tenant if your landlord is a council or a housing association.

You can find more information on:

When you register you can say what sort of property you are looking for and you can advertise your home for other tenants to see. This website enables you to log in any time and search for possible matches.

If you do find someone you would like to swap with the next step is to contact your landlord or email housing@thanet.gov.uk.

Remember you cannot do a mutual exchange without your landlord’s permission.


Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.