Applications are now open for December Tier 3 and 4 business support grants. DO NOT apply if you have already applied for a November national lockdown grant. | Apply online | Last updated: January 11, 4:15 pm


        Industrial Air Pollution

        Regulations made under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 require a range of industrial processes (known as “prescribed” processes) with the potential to cause pollution to obtain a permit before operating.

        Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

        • Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including; emissions to air, land and water, energy efficiency, waste reduction, raw materials consumption, noise, vibration and heat, accident prevention
        • Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

        The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

        • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
        • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
        • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency

        The Environment Agency is responsible for those processes (Part A processes) capable of generating significant emissions to air, land and water. If your query relates to this please go to the Environment Agency website or contact their helpline 03708 506 506.

        The Council is responsible for processes (known as Part B processes) that have the potential to cause air pollution.

        All Part B processes must be authorised by the Council before they can operate.

        We are responsible for permits, setting conditions which must be met, and monitoring performance to ensure that the company is operating within its permit. Thanet has around 30 permitted processes which can be viewed here Environmental Permits 2019. They are routinely inspected by the Environmental Protection Team. The types of processes permitted include petrol stations, concrete crushing, printing ink manufacture, incineration, and various coating activities.

        Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation. If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

        • A fee may be payable.
        • The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.
        • For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.
        • The regulator will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.
        • The regulator may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.
        • The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility and the regulator must be satisfied that they must operate the facility in accordance with the environmental permit.

        Apply now

        Please note that you will be making your application to Thanet Council via online licensing service. There is no charge for using this facility.

        Did you find this page useful?