Industrial Air Pollution
The Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 require a range of industrial processes (known as “prescribed” processes) with the potential to cause pollution to obtain a permit before operating.
Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.
- Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including; emissions to air, land and water, energy efficiency, waste reduction, raw materials consumption, noise, vibration, heat and accident prevention. Part A(1) installations are considered to me most polluting industries such as power stations, chemical works etc.. are regulated by the Environment Agency. Part A(2) installations are medium risk and are regulated by the Local Authority. Thanet has no A(2) installations.
- Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air. These are considered to be less polluting and are regulated by the local authority.
All Part B processes must be authorised by the Council before they can operate.
Thanet has 28 permitted processes, these are petrol stations, concrete crushing, printing ink manufacture, incineration, and various coating activities. Once a permit has been issued the installation will be routinely inspected to make sure the conditions are being complied with.
It is against the law to not hold an environmental permit if your process falls under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016. Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation. If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn. An application fee will be payable as well as an annual subsistence fee.
Can I view the council’s public register list of environmental permits?
Yes, you can view the following list of installations regulated by the council under the Environmental Permitting Regulations.
- Environmental permits (Part B) public register
For further information and to arrange access to view public register documents please contact us:
- Apply for a B Environmental Permit
- Apply for an A2 Environmental Permit
- Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances
- Apply for a waste exemption
Please note that you will be making your application to Thanet Council via Gov.uk online licensing service. There is no charge for using this facility.