Proof for your claim

Proof for your claim

You are responsible for giving us the information and proof we need to support your Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit claim.

Much of the evidence and information required for your claim can be verified through other sources available to us (for example HMRC and DWP). However, we may need you to provide further evidence to help us to complete your claim faster.

Examples of when you need to provide further evidence are:

Scenario Evidence you must provide
You or your partner have not claimed Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support with us before Proof of your identity and National Insurance Number.
You or your partner pay into a salary sacrifice scheme from your wages or receive a bonus Your two most recent wage slips and confirmation in writing what the scheme is for or how frequently you receive the bonus
You or your partner are self-employed Please complete the self-employed form https://forms.thanet.gov.uk/self-employed-income;  or upload your latest audited accounts
You live in supported accommodation Your full tenancy agreement with information from your landlord detailing the level of support you receive and who provides it


You have other adults (other than your partner) living in your home Evidence of their income/wage slips


You pay for childcare Please download a childcare form https://www.thanet.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Childcare-Certificate-July-2018.pdf  and return it once completed by the childcare provider.
You are working age and have over £5,500 or pension age and have over £9,500 in savings and investments (banks/ISA’s, stocks and shares etc) Please provide up-to-date statements for all accounts you and your partner hold.
You or your partner own another property Please complete and return the form: https://www.thanet.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/LA1.pdf
An adult within your home is a student please complete the student information form https://www.thanet.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Ben-Student-Information-required-Jan15.pdf and provide evidence of their student finance.

You must tell us straight away about any changes in your circumstances that may affect your claim and provide proof of your change.


If you can’t get all the proof needed to send with the claim form, please send the form to us anyway and include a covering letter explaining that you will send further information later.

We will normally give you one calendar month to send in everything we need. We may be able to give you longer if there is a good reason why you can’t give us the information in that time.


Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.