“Our vision is to build active, healthy, safe and successful communities in Thanet through increased participation in sport and active recreation”
The importance of sport and active recreation as a means to achieve wider, social, health, economic and environmental outcomes for individuals and communities has been increasingly recognised by central government and others over recent years. Growing research and evidence has demonstrated that sport and active recreation has the potential to:
- Provide positive opportunities and diversionary activities to those young people who may otherwise become disfranchised and reduce anti-social behaviour.
- Provide health benefits to those who regularly participate in active lifestyles.
- Develop a sense of community and pull together local groups and organisations.
- Deliver economic benefits to areas through visitors attracted by high quality sporting events and facilities which raises the profile of local communities.
- Improve educational attainment contributing to a reduction in unemployment.
- Provide opportunities for residents to make use of their natural environment by promoting the use of open spaces, coastal routes to improve overall health and well-being.
To view a copy of the Sport and Active Recreation Strategy 2015-2019 please click here.