Free summer holiday activity and enrichment programme for disadvantaged children in Thanet
Thanet Summer Blast
We know how important staying active and eating well is to the health, wellbeing, and development of our children. Our holiday programmes are designed to keep your kids active throughout the school holidays, introduce them to new and exciting activities, and create a fun-filled experience that will stick with them for years to come as well as provide them with a free nutritious daily meal.
Thanet District Council’s Active Thanet Service is working with a host of local and national organisations to deliver holiday programmes across the District.
The Department for Education funding is aimed at providing places for children who are in receipt of benefits-related free school meals; from Year 1 to Year 11 (age 4-16 years).
We’ve had a fantastic time working with a host of local organisations to deliver the Thanet Summer Blast 2021! We look forward to seeing you all again soon.
In partnership with:
Thanet School Games Organiser
Westgate-on-Sea / Birchington
Northwood / Nethercourt
Total Sports Coaching
Yo Street Zone
Drapers Mills Primary School
Total Sports Coaching
Royal Harbour Academy
The Pavilion Youth and Community Cafe
Team Tasha Fitness
Newington Big Local
Kitchen Social and Cookery Club
Yo Street Zone
This year the government is providing up to £220m additional funding for Holiday Activity and Food (HAF) programmes across English local authorities and in Thanet we will be running our biggest programme yet.
Thanet Holiday Activities 2021 will seek to address food poverty, inactivity, isolation and learning loss by children, by:
- Having access to safe, non-stigmatising places to go for positive activity
- Eating more healthily over the school holidays
- Spend time with friends and being more active during the school holidays
- Taking part in engaging and enriching activities which support the development of resilience, character and wellbeing along with their wider education attainment
- Being safe and not to be socially isolated
- Being ready to return to school, college or to move on to work
- Supported with healthy recipes and cooking on a budget
- Be signposted and supported (where required) to early help/family local services
- Have the opportunity to continue participating in sport and physical activity beyond the holidays.
Thanet Holiday Activity Programmes are aimed at children who are in receipt of benefits-related free school meals; from Year 1 to Year 11 (age 4-16 years). You can find more information on whether your child is eligible for free school meals on the Kent County Council website.
If your child is not in receipt of free school meals but you feel they would benefit from attending the activity programme please contact us with details of your child at firstname.lastname@example.orgPermalink
The Holiday Activity and Food is a free holiday activity and enrichment programme for disadvantaged children which includes food provision.
The programme is funded by a grant to local authorities by the Department for Education based on the number of children eligible in that area.
Some local authorities will coordinate the programme themselves, and others may choose to work with another organisation to coordinate the provision on their behalf.
In Thanet the programme is known locally as the Thanet Summer Blast.
You can find more information on Holiday Activity and Food programmes on the gov.uk website
Please be aware that coordination and delivery in Thanet may look slightly different.Permalink
The main aims are to provide eligible children with an enjoyable and engaging experience during school holidays which will ensure that they take part in regular sport or physical activity and eat regular healthy food during the holiday period.
As a result of their involvement, with a focus on their all-round wellbeing, it is hoped that they will also feel more ready and inspired to engage positively with school and their wider learning when they return after the break.
The programme can also help to support young people who are at the point of transition from primary to secondary school.Permalink
- Thanet District Council – Active Thanet
- Active Community Solutions CIC
- Changing Minds Kent CIC
- Team Tasha Fitness CIC
- The Pavilion Youth and Community Cafe
- Generation Sports
- Positive State CIC
- Kitchen Social & Cookery Club CIC
- Global Generation
- Yo Street Zone
- Ramsgate FC
- Your Leisure
- Total Sports Coaching
- Wisewoods dance school
- Football IQ
- Newington Big Local
- Nyla Yoga
- This Bean Spins
- Thanet’s School Games Organiser
- The Department for Education in partnership with Kent County Council and The Education People.