Waste and Recycling Service Standard – 2017/20
Read the service standard document
The service standard document give details of what you can expect from the waste and recycling service. The key principles are set out below.
What the Council expects from you:
- You will present your refuse and recycling containers on the edge of the property next to the public highway so they are highly visible and accessible on the correct collection day by 6am, unless otherwise agreed with the Council.
- You will put the right material in the right container as specified by us for safety and operational reasons, to ensure your refuse and recycling materials are collected and recycled
- You will take your refuse and recycling containers back in as soon as possible after collection has been made on the same collection day.
- You will use the containers appropriately and keep them clean to avoid pests. For example, containing refuse in black sacks before placing in your container to stop loose waste escaping and to keep the neighbourhood tidy.
- You are responsible for keeping containers serviceable, safe, and clean, and reporting any that are damaged, lost or stolen. The council reserves the right to make a charge to replace any containers damaged because of misuse, loss, theft or vandalism.
- If we have not collected your container, despite it being presented correctly, containing the right items and on time, you will need to report it to us by the end of the next working day after your scheduled collection, or we will not collect it until your next scheduled collection.
What you can expect from the Council:
- We will collect your recycling and waste containers on the same day on an alternate weekly basis, unless otherwise specified; and if we cannot collect we will provide information to let you know why.
- We will return your containers to where they were collected from.
- We will pick up any spillages we cause.
- We will collect your waste and recycling containers from the edge of your property next to the public highway, or as otherwise agreed by the Council. If the failure to empty the container was the fault of the council and as a result we have not collected your waste and recycling-which was presented correctly and on time, we will return to empty it as soon as reasonably practicable after it has been reported.
- The council will replace or repair any containers that become damaged or unserviceable as a result of the collection process or due to expected wear and tear, as soon as reasonably practicable and free of charge. The council reserves the right to make a charge to replace any containers damaged because of misuse, loss, theft or vandalism.
- We will use the enforcement powers available to us in order to protect the environment in our district when necessary.
- We will keep you updated via our website and other media where possible, on any unexpected service changes due to bad weather and other unforeseen circumstances.