If you disagree with a decision about your benefit claim

When we’ve made a decision about your benefit, we will write to tell you what you’re entitled to.

You can ask us to look at our decision again, if you think we’re wrong. You should do this within one month of the date on our decision letter and send any extra information or proof that may support your case.

If you do this, we’ll look at our decision again; this is called a reconsideration. We may then decide to:

  • change our decision – if we change your claim, we’ll write to tell you
  • uphold our decision – if we decide not to change our original decision, we’ll write to explain why we believe the decision is correct.

If you still disagree with our decision, you can ask for this to be looked at by an independent tribunal. This is called an appeal. You may also get independent advice from someone like the Citizens Advice, who may be able to help you with your appeal.

You must make your appeal in writing and it’s important you provide full details of your reasons for appealing. Further details and guidance will be given on the letter we send about the outcome of your reconsideration. You should appeal within one month of the date that we send this to you.

We will then send your appeal to the independent Tribunal Service. They will contact you to give a date for a hearing, which you may wish to attend. A judge will make an independent decision about your claim and will contact you directly to tell you the outcome.


You must make your appeal directly to the independent Valuation Tribunal using their form. You must do this within two months of the date we send you the outcome of your reconsideration.

You can’t appeal to the Valuation Tribunal unless you have asked us to reconsider your claim first.

The Valuation Tribunal will tell you what will happen next, including the date of your appeal hearing if you wish to attend in person. They’ll then write to you with their decision. If this is to change our original decision, we’ll write to you again to tell you of the change to your award.

Find more information about the appeals process and the appeal form on the Valuation Tribunal Service website.


Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.