Latest News

Private Hire Visuals 2024

The visuals will take place on Thursday 25 April and Thursday 2 May 2024 at Port of Ramsgate between 9:30am – 3pm.  This will be the only dates for visuals if you cannot make it you will need to contact licensing@thanet.gov.uk as soon as possible.

As of 1 January 2024 taxi and private hire vehicle operators must record the income of each and every driver working on their platforms. The new requirement marks the first phase in a HMRC strategy to receive these records in January 2025.  The rules mandate that all taxi and private hire digital platforms ie Uber gather and submit earnings data from their drivers to HMRC.  From January 2025 this data will be annually reported directly to HMRC, marking a significant shift in how driver earnings are monitored and taxed.


If you have a Private Hire Drivers Badge and are looking for work please contact

Andy Gifford


Thanet Cars are looking for drivers for information please email


United Cars – 581 581 or 07561477213

Licensed or unlicensed drivers wanted, training for new applicants is available.  Owner drivers welcome.

Central Cars – 01843 871255 

Drivers wanted – bookings@centralcarsthanet.co.uk


The Council owns 2 rapid charging sites dedicated to taxis/private hire vehicles: Market street Margate and Albion Road Birchington car parks. These provide a Full charge in 45 mins.

You can also download an app called Zap-Map (not affiliated with TDC)

The Zap-Map app helps EV drivers to search for available charge points, plan longer electric journeys, share updates with the EV community and pay for charging on participating networks.

With over 17,000 locations, 27,000 devices and 47,000 connectors mapped, Zap-Map shows over 95% of the UK’s public points on its network. Free to download, the Zap-Map app is an essential app for EV drivers in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Find out more about the UK’s leading EV charging app, or download the iOS app from the Apple App store and the Android app from Google Play.


The government is putting in place new tax requirements for applications to certain licences. This is supported by a new digital service, being developed by HMRC. It helps people in the taxi, private hire and scrap metal industries to complete a new tax check.

Most people are registered to pay tax and this is about ensuring everyone pays the tax they should, creating a level playing field for the compliant majority. HMRC are working with industry bodies to make this as straightforward as possible. The check should take a few minutes every few years and is simply to confirm that someone is appropriately registered for tax.

You’ll need to complete a tax check when you renew your licence as a:

  • driver of a taxi (hackney carriage)
  • driver of a private hire vehicle (and dual licences)
  • private hire vehicle operator
  • scrap metal dealer mobile collector
  • scrap metal dealer site

About the tax check

You will be able to complete this tax check on GOV.UK, through your Government Gateway account. You will only need to answer a few questions to tell HMRC how you pay any tax that may be due on income you earn from your licensed trade. If you do not already have a Government Gateway account, you can sign up on GOV.UK.

The tax check should only take a few minutes. There’ll be guidance on GOV.UK and anyone who needs extra support will be able to complete the tax check by phone through HMRC’s customer helpline.

When you’ve completed the tax check, you’ll get a code. You must give this code to your licensing body. The licensing body cannot proceed with your licence application or renewal until the tax check is completed and they’ve received the code.

Your licensing body will only receive confirmation from HMRC that you’ve completed the tax check, they will not have access to information about your tax affairs.


Below is the link for you to complete your tax check



You may have to pay tax through Pay as You Earn (PAYE), Self Assessment and/or Corporation Tax, depending on your circumstances. If you should have been registered to pay tax and have not been, HMRC will work with you promptly and professionally to get you back on the right track. It’s your responsibility to get your tax right, but HMRC are here to help.

If you’re an employee: Pay As You Earn (PAYE)

Most employed people pay Income Tax through PAYE. This is the system employers use to take Income Tax and National Insurance contributions before they pay wages.

See more information on PAYE.

If you’re self-employed: Self Assessment tax returns

If you’re self-employed you’ll pay Income Tax and National Insurance through Self Assessment. You’ll need to fill in a tax return every year.

You must send a tax return if, in the last tax year (6 April to 5 April), you were:

  • self-employed as a ‘sole trader’ and your annual gross trading income was more than £1,000
  • a partner in a business partnership

See more information on registering for Self Assessment.

If you operate through a company: Corporation Tax

Companies need to register for Corporation Tax when they start doing business or restart a dormant business.

See more information on Corporation Tax.


Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.