End your council tenancy

Notice to terminate your Thanet District Council tenancy form

You can use our online form to terminate your Thanet District Council tenancy. To terminate your tenancy you must give four weeks notice, starting from a Monday.

Please ensure you have read the guidance below before beginning the form.

Ending a council tenancy 

This information is for TDC tenants only.

To end your council tenancy you must give Thanet District Council at least four weeks notice in writing. The notice period always starts from a Monday.

This applies if you are moving from a Thanet District Council property. Moving to private accommodation. Moving in with family or friends. To another council or housing association home (when not nominated by us). Or moving to another council by bidding with them.

If you are going into care, or moving to sheltered accommodation in another area you will still need to give us notice. If you are ending the tenancy on behalf of a tenant you will need to provide evidence that you have Power of Attorney.

If you are transferring to another Thanet District Council property you do not need to give four weeks notice. The date that the tenancy ends will be determined by the date the keys are returned. The tenant, or the person with Power of Attorney (proof is required), must complete the tenancy termination form.


Please use our online form to notify us of the death of a tenant


Succession explained

When a council tenant dies, the tenancy can be passed on to a husband, wife or civil partner through a process called succession. In some cases, this can be another family member such as a son or daughter.

There can only ever be one succession to a council tenancy.

In situations where the original tenancy was a joint tenancy, the surviving joint tenant will takeover the tenancy by succession. When that person dies, nobody else can take over the tenancy.

If the person who died was a sole tenant, their wife, husband or registered civil partner can take over the tenancy (if it hasn’t been passed on before) as long as they were living at the property at the time of the tenant’s death.

What if more than one person qualifies in succession?

The Housing Act sets out how the successor may be chosen if more than one person qualifies to succeed or receive the tenancy:

  • By law, a second succession is not possible. But in certain circumstances, we may pass the tenancy to a relative. This could be a close relative who has always lived in the property.
  • If the tenancy passes to a relative and the property is larger than their needs or is a certain type, we may move them to a more suitable property.

Succession by other family members

For council tenancies created before 1 April 2012, if there is no surviving spouse or civil partner, another family member may be able to take over the tenancy.

Family members who can inherit a council tenancy include:

  • cohabiting partners
  • children (not foster children)
  • parents
  • siblings

For secure council tenancies created after 1 April 2012, there is no right for a family member to succeed, unless the tenancy agreement specifically allows for it.

What type of tenancy will I have?

If you succeed to a council tenancy, you will have the same type of tenancy as the person who died.

If you were a joint tenant with the person who died, you will be responsible for any rent arrears at the time of the other tenant’s death.

The succession process can be complicated,so please talk to your Housing Officer.


When you move out of your home you are expected to leave it in the condition as when you moved in.

The property should be clean.

You will be charged the costs of any repairs, removal of belongings or rubbish.

Don’t leave anyone living in your home. If you do, we may take legal action to evict them and you will have to pay our legal costs.

If you are thinking of carrying out any work before you leave (such as replacing internal doors) please ask for advice first. If the work isn’t done properly you could be charged for the work to be done again.

If you have any concerns or queries please email myhome@thanet.gov.uk or call 01843 577262.


Below are examples of the minimum costs that will be charged to you if your property is not returned clean and in a good state of repair and decoration.

This list does not cover everything, but gives examples of the most common charges.

Description Cost
Clearing rubbish, furniture or other belongings from your property. From £94 – depending on the amount of items to be cleared
Replacing internal doors, if the doors were changed or damaged. From £118 per door
Removing floor coverings:

  • Floor tiles
  • Other types of floor coverings including carpets
  • From £5.82 – per square metre
  • From £56
Clearing a loft From £58
Removing wall lights, non-standard DIY electrical fittings, for example: metal light switches, plug sockets, downlights and any non-standard light fitting From £19 – per light fitting
From £12 – per double socket
Removing shelving From £4 – per shelf
Removing wall cabinets From £6 – per cabinet
Removing graffiti From £6 – per square metre
Clearing rubbish from the garden.
If the clearance needs to be removed in a skip, you will also be charged for the skip
From £94
From £198 – per skip
Removing a shed or greenhouse which you put up From £94
Clearing an outside store From £29 – per store
Filling in a pond From £48 per square metre

If your property is returned to us in good condition, you are able to apply for a leave it clean payment of £100

To be eligible you must:

  • Give at least 4 weeks notice.
  • Clear the property of personal belongings, furniture and rubbish.
  • Return your full set of keys by 12 noon on the day your tenancy ends.
  • Make sure there are no outstanding repairs for which you are responsible.

If you do owe money to the Thanet District Council, for example for Council Tax or Housing Benefit overpayment, an equivalent amount will be deducted from your claim.


Any alterations to the property that you made may need to be removed. Unless previously agreed in writing with the council. (The property should be returned to the condition it was in when you moved in.)

These images are of properties returned in an acceptable condition.

  • Carpets, floor coverings, furniture and white goods must be removed. Any shelves and cabinets that you have installed must be removed from walls. Any holes left should be filled.
  • You can arrange for bulky items (including carpets) to be removed by the council’s bulky waste collection service
  • You must leave the fixtures and fittings (handles, light fittings, bathroom suite, kitchen units, worktops etc) in the same state as they were when your tenancy started (apart from reasonable wear and tear).
  • Anything left in the property, including the loft, garden, sheds and outbuildings will be regarded as unwanted. We will remove and dispose of them, and you will be charged the cost of this. This includes clearing rubbish or belongings from the property.

If you leave any repairs or reinstatement work for which you are responsible, we will arrange for this work to be carried out and charge you for the cost of the work.

You can find guidance about the repairs that you are responsible for on our website.

If you have any questions our Voids (empty property) team will be able to help you. Email myhome@thanet.gov.uk or call 01843 577262.


The garden must be cleared of personal belongings and rubbish.

  • Grass should be cut
  • Trees, bushes and hedges must be cut back to a reasonable standard
  • Fences that are your responsibility, must be in good repair
  • Ponds must be filled in
  • Sheds or greenhouses that you put up, must be taken down and removed
  • Sheds and outbuildings must be cleared of all personal belongings and rubbish

Any medical aids such as bath seats, should be returned to the NHS Kent and Medway or Kent Social Services.

Any adaptations that have been made by the council do not need to be removed.


On the day you leave. Take the final gas, electricity and water meter readings and keep a record of them.

Leave all gas and electricity meter keys in the meters. These can’t be transferred to a new property.

When we have your termination form we will ask British Gas to transfer the utilities.

We will share your data with utility companies so that final bills can be calculated.

If your moving date changes, it is important to let us know as soon as possible so that we can stop the transfer.


As soon as we get your termination form, we will advertise your property. This is because we want to fill empty properties as soon as possible.

If anyone contacts you asking to view the property, please do not show them around. We will arrange viewings once you have returned the keys.


Full rent will be charged for the notice period.

If you don’t return the keys by 12 noon on the agreed date, weekly rent and service charge will be charged until the keys are returned.

If you are responsible for paying the rent please make sure this is paid in full. We will pursue any outstanding rent when you have left the property.

We will also make a charge for forced entry if the keys are not returned.

If you want to check how much you owe, please contact the Income team on 01843 577262 or by email myrent@thanet.gov.uk.


Keys should be returned no later than 12 noon on the Monday that the tenancy ends. You can return the keys early but please be aware that our maintenance contractors may start work in the property immediately.

Where to return your keys

Address Opening days and times
Thanet Gateway Plus
Cecil Street
Monday to Friday (apart from bank holidays)
10am – 2pm
Thanet District Council
Main Office
Cecil Street
Monday to Friday (apart from bank holidays)
2pm – 5pm
By recorded delivery (so that you have proof that we have received the keys)
Voids Team
Tenant and Leaseholder Services
Thanet District Council
Cecil Street
Don’t forget to include the address that the keys are for.

You should let the following organisations know that you have moved:

  • Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) – benefits payments
  • Gas, electricity and water (please take your own meter readings)
  • Telephone, Broadband and TV providers
  • GP
  • Dentist
  • Hospital
  • Opticians
  • Schools
  • Banks, building societies and credit card companies
  • Royal Mail – arrange for mail redirection

Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.