Who can get Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is a scheme to help people pay their rent. It can’t help towards things like mortgage costs, meals, fuel charges, washing and nursing care.

If you live with a partner or civil partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit from 6 September 2017

From 6 September 2017 we will no longer be able to accept new claims for Housing Benefit unless you:

  • are of pensionable age
  • have more than two children 
  • are in exempt accommodation.

If you don't fall into one of these categories, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs. 

You can get Housing Benefit if you

  • rent your home
  • are responsible for paying rent as a tenant, boarder, lodger or in a hostel or bed & breakfast
  • have a low income, or are claiming benefits
  • usually live in your home for which you are claiming Housing Benefit.

Check if you qualify for Housing Benefit using the benefits calculator (Kent County Council website).

You can also see how we work out your Housing Benefit

You can’t get Housing Benefit if you

You won’t normally get Housing Benefit if you are living with a close relative and paying them rent.

Some full-time students aren’t able to claim Housing Benefit. Find out more about students and Housing Benefit.