Business licences

View the information below for the type of license, how to apply and eligibility criteria.


Animal Welfare Licensing

Thanet District Council is responsible for the licensing and inspection of Animal Welfare establishments (Pet Shops, Boarding Kennels and Catteries, Home Boarding of Dogs, Dog Day Care, Dog Breeding and Riding Establishments) across our District.

Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities involving Animals) Act 2018

On 01 October 2018 new legislation came into force and replaces the previous legislation applicable to:

  •    Boarding of Cats and Dogs in Catteries or Kennels
  •    Breeding of Dogs
  •    Home Boarding/Day Care of Dogs
  •    Pet Shops
  •    Riding Establishments

The 2018 Regulation has also introduced the following:

  • a one licence system, whereby each of the activities underlined above is considered to be a licensable activity, and an operator may apply for multiple licensable activities on the one licence.
  • a new “Star Rating” scheme, ranging from one to five stars, assessed according to risk and welfare standards at the premises.
  • licence periods of up to three years, linked to the star rating given to the premises.

Anyone planning to apply for a new licence should read the 2018 Regulations, and the statutory guidance notes to fully understand your obligations and duties under the new Regulations, to assist the trade, all of these documents are available via the links further down this page.

The following Guidance Notes will assist individuals and businesses as to their responsibilities under the new Act;

Further online guidance is available to the Trade to assist individuals and businesses transition to the new requirements and the new law:



Licence fee plus veterinary inspectors fee if necessary

Providing Home Boarding for dogs

Description Fee
Renewal (up to 4 dogs) £325
New application (up to 4 dogs) £367.50
Renewal (5 or more dogs) £367.50
New application (5 or more dogs) £400

Providing Boarding in Kennels for Dogs

Description Fee
Renewal (up to 30 dogs) £325
New application (up to 30 dogs) £367.50
Renewal (over 30 dogs) £380
New application (over 30 dogs) £425

Providing Boarding for Cats

Description Fees
Renewal (up to 30 cats) £325
New application (up to 30 cats) £367.50
Renewal (over 30 cats) £380
New application (over 30 cats) £425

Selling of Animals as Pets

Description Fee
Renewal £325
New application £367.50

Dog Breeding

Description Fee
Renewal (up to 5 dogs) £435
New application (up to 5 dogs) £490
Renewal (6-10 dogs) £477.50
New application (6-10 dogs) £530
Renewal (11+ dogs) £520
New application (11+ dogs) £565

Riding Establishment Hiring out of horses

Description Fee
Renewal (up to 5 horses) £435
New application (up to 5 horses) £490
Renewal (6-10 horses) £477.50
New application (6-10 horses) £530
Renewal (11+ horses) £520
New application (11+ horses) £565

Animal Franchise Licence

Description Fee
Host Fee £162.50
Arrangers Fee £325

Performing Animals keeping or training animals

Description Fee
Licence fee £325

Providing Day Care for dogs

Description Fee
Licence fee £260
Replacement Licence £18
Re-Rating £150
Pre-application advice/variation to licence (inc inspection) £150
Pre-application (Animal activities-joint activities) £225
Variation of Animal Activities Licence £37.55

If you intend to conduct dog breeding or horse hiring activities, you will also be responsible for paying for a veterinarian to inspect the premises. The veterinarian will accompany a Licensing Officer on the visit.

Payment Details

TDC bank details

National Westminster Bank PLC

Sort Code – 60 14 05

Bank Account – 67834000

Payee – Thanet District Council

New Application Process

Applying for a new licence

Once you have read through the guidance relevant to your chosen activity or activities, and the Regulations, you will need to submit your application form, with all required paperwork and pay the application fee.

Any Animal Welfare application may be undermined if your premises does not have suitable planning permission, it is therefore in your own interest to check and confirm whether this is required.

Download Form


Form for New Horses

Download Form


All premises will be inspected before a licence is granted. The Licensing Officer will be looking to make sure that the applicant has the following:

  • a specialist knowledge in the species that they are caring for and a clear understanding of its needs and welfare. This would include the animals’ mental and physical health, feeding and knowledge of environmental enrichment.
  • The applicant should be able to demonstrate that they have researched and followed expert guidance in order to carry out their role.
  • Comprehensive records that contain all the information required by the conditions that apply to their particular activities.
  • An understanding of risks involved in caring for the animal, including an extensive risk assessment and written policies and procedures that are reviewed regularly. These documents should be available for the Officer to examine.
  • Training procedures in place to make sure staff know what is expected of them, and clear evidence of good supervision of staff.

The premises itself will also be assessed so that we can be sure the licence holder can meet the new laws relating to the physical environment in which the animals will be kept.

Renewing an existing Licence

All existing licence holders will be required to renew no less than three months prior to the expiry date of their licence, in order to guarantee licence continuation whilst the renewal process takes place. Licence holders must submit a valid application no less than ten weeks prior to the expiry date of their licence. 

Although called a renewal, the process is almost identical to applying for a new licence. The only difference being the fact that a dog breeding establishment MAY not have to have a veterinarian inspection upon renewal. The renewal letter supplied will provide detailed information regarding the renewal process.

Licences and star ratings

Based on the application, and the information given to us at the inspection, we will assess the risk rating and award stars using a scoring method created by DEFRA, which is a requirement under the new scheme. Low-risk premises can attain up to five stars, and premises that have been assessed as higher risk can be awarded up to four stars. If the applicant is not satisfied with the decision, they can make improvements to address highlighted issues, and ask for a re-inspection.

Premises with Lower Star Ratings

A premises with a lower star rating are not necessarily premises to avoid as there are other factors that have to be considered, such as the length of time the licence holder has been operating. New businesses will be assessed as slightly higher risk simply because there is no history of good practice that can be considered. We would advise that, as stated above, the scoring method is one we must use to comply with Government requirements, and the rating given should not be seen as a recommendation by the Council.

Scoring Matrix

Welfare Standards

Minor Failings

(existing business that are failing to meet minimum standards)

Standards(as laid down in the schedules and guidance)
Higher Standards

(as laid down in the guidance)


Low Risk 1 Star

1yr licence

Min 1 unannounced visit within 12 month period

3 Star

2yr licence

Min 1 unannounced visit within 24 month period

5 Star

3yr licence

Min 1 unannounced visit within 36 month period

Higher Risk 1 Star

1yr licence

Min 1 unannounced visit within 12 month period

2 Star

1yr licence

Min 1 unannounced visit within 12 month period

4 Star

2yr licence

Min 1 unannounced visit within 24 month period

Appeals & Reviews

Disputed Scores and Licence Reports

If you wish to dispute the star rating given as not reflecting the animal welfare standards and risk level of your business at the time of the inspection you should first contact the officer to discuss this matter soon after receiving your rating. We will aim to respond within seven days of your request.  A different process applies if changes have been made since the inspection occurred.

If you are not satisfied with the officer’s explanation, you have the option to formally appeal.  You must make your appeal in writing and submit it within 21 days of your grading being issued.

This can be by letter, addressed to Licensing, Thanet District Council, P.O. Box 9, Margate, Kent CT9 1XZ or by email to licensing @thanet.gov.uk. You can withdraw your appeal afterwards if you wish.

An appeal will be considered by the head of the department that issued the licence or another senior officer who has not been directly involved in the inspection on which the grade is based.  The council must consider the appeal and provide a decision to the business within 21 days of the written appeal request being received.

We will consider the appeal by reviewing the paperwork associated with the inspection.  This will include the application form originally submitted and the inspector notes from the visit. The past record for the business will also be considered including previous inspections and any complaints in respect of animal welfare which have been investigated.  In some circumstances a further visit may be required. 

The costs of any additional inspections related to the appeal will be borne by the applicant unless it results in a higher rating being awarded. This will depend on the nature of the dispute and whether a decision can or cannot be made on the basis of the paperwork.

If you then disagree with the outcome of the appeal, you can challenge our decision through judicial review, and you also can contact the Local Government Ombudsman if you consider that we have not properly followed the regulations and any statutory guidance.

Licence Refusals / Suspensions

If an officer advises that a licence will be refused or will be suspended they should provide details, in writing, with the reasons why. Generally, the reason to refuse will be because the officer:

(a) Thinks the applicant is not capable of meeting their licence conditions

(b) Thinks that granting a licence might negatively affect the welfare, health or safety of the animals involved in the activity

(c) Considers the accommodation, staffing or management are inadequate for the animals’ well-being or for the activity or establishment to be run properly. The relevant guidance documents for the activity will explain in detail the requirements and conditions that must be met so you should have regard to these documents

(d) Believes the applicant has been disqualified from holding a licence as per Schedule 8 of the Regulations.

The Licence Holder / Applicant may appeal to a First-tier Tribunal if they do not agree with the decision made by us. This must be done within 28 days of the decision.

 Re-inspection visit for re-rating purposes

If you have made changes to your business since the licence inspection, have been graded 1-4 stars, and have made improvements you can request a re-inspection to re-assess your star rating.  A re-inspection for re-rating purposes could lead to a lower rating being awarded rather than an improved grade.

We should carry out the re-inspection visit within three months of receipt of the request (and payment where required). There is no limit to the number of re-inspections that can be requested, however a fee may be charged for each.

The request should be made in writing.  This can be by letter, addressed to Licensing, Thanet District Council, P.O.Box 9, Margate, Kent CT9 1XZ  or by email to licensing@thanet.gov.uk. You should outline the case for a re-inspection, that is, indicate the actions you have taken to improve the level of compliance or welfare since the inspection and, where appropriate, should include supporting evidence such as photographs or documents. Explain what has changed and how this changes risk or welfare standards.

The Council can refuse to undertake a re-inspection if insufficient evidence has been provided that risk or welfare standards have changed.  If this happens the council will explain the priority actions that must be taken in order to improve the rating and indicate what evidence will be required for agreement to a re-inspection to be made on further request.

New ratings cannot be given purely on documentary evidence.  A visit will always be made. The officer will not only check that the required improvements have been made, but also assess the ongoing standards. This means that the rating could go up, down or remain the same.

Please email licensing@thanet.gov.uk if you wish to discuss anything further.


You must be registered to carry out any of the following types of skin piercing:

  • Acupuncture
  • Tattooing
  • Skin-Piercing
  • Electrolysis
  • Semi permanent skin colouring

Both you and your premises must be registered. If you operate from different locations your business operating centre must be the registered address.  If you move you must register the new premises.

A premises is normally defined in law as a “piece of land and the buildings thereon”. We cannot, therefore, legally register mobile skin piercing activities (e.g. adapted vans, trailers, tents or stalls).


Eligibility criteria

You must provide specific information including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practicing without a licence in this field.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No, you must not conduct the above activities until your registration has been approved. You will be contacted to arrange a visit.


You will need to provide details about yourself and your premises, as well as pay a one-off registration fee. These are set by the council and vary from area to area.


Registration for Acupuncture, Tattooing, Electrolysis, Ear Piercing

Description Fee
Premise Registration £310
Personal Registration £67.50
Variation to personal licence £31


Download form

Failed application

Please contact licensing@thanet.gov.uk

Licence Holder redress

Please contact licensing@thanet.gov.uk

If a registration is suspended or cancelled the registration holder may appeal to the county court


The Council inspects and licences commercial caravan sites.

Conditions, based on Government Model Conditions, are attached to new licences on matters relating to health, hygiene and safety.

Licences are currently free of charge and are issued under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

The Government issued a Consultation document in 2009 as it is intended that the licensing regime – for Residential Sites – which was set up in the mid-20th Century, should be modernised for the 21st Century.

Government intends a similar Consultation process for Holiday Sites sometime in 2010.

Site operators need an appropriate Planning Permission for their land from Thanet District Council before applying for a licence. All planning enquiries should be addressed to planning.services@thanet.gov.uk

Apply online

Thanet Council does not change or renew caravan and camping site licences and requires a new full application for any amendments


Small Society Lottery

Small society lotteries are lotteries promoted for the benefit of a non-commercial society. A society is non-profitable if it is run for charitable purposes. It allows the society to take part in or support sport, athletics, cultural activities and any other non-commercial purpose, as long as it’s not for private/personal gain.

The licence covers ticket sales for a single lottery of up to £20,000 with yearly sales of up to £250,000.
Anything above this would need to be licenced by the Gambling Commission.

A quick guide to running a lottery

It costs £40 to register for a year

Application Form

Lottery returns form

Payment can be made via BACs using the details below

TDC bank details
National Westminster Bank PLC
Sort Code – 60 14 05
Bank Account – 67834000
Payee – Thanet District Council


Renew a Lottery licence

Licences are issued for one year and are renewed yearly.  You won’t need to fill in a renewal application form.  The fee for renewal is £20 and will be renewed automatically following payment.

Please use the BACs details above to pay the renewal fee and put your licence number or group name as the reference.


You must apply to the council for a licence if you want to collect money or goods (that you plan to sell at a later date) from people’s homes for charity.

Who needs a licence

You must apply if you’re a, Small charity, local group, eg scouts, girl guides

House to house collection licences can be valid for anything up to 1 year.

How to apply

House to House collection application form

You must apply 20 working days before you plan to start collecting.

You must include the names of any people who will be collecting on behalf of the charity or organisation.  There are known as the authorised collectors.  You must also include your own name if you’re planning to be an authorised collector.

There is no payment for a house to house collection permit.

Fines and penalties

If you don’t get a licence before starting house to house collections you could face

up to 6 months in prison

a fine of up to £1000

If you or anyone collecting on your behalf doesn’t give a police officer their name, address and signature when asked to, they could be fined up to £200.

Regulation summary



To be a scrap metal dealer, you need to register with your Local Authority.

New checks on license renewals for Scrap Metal Dealer collector and site licence from 4 April 2022 – please see link below

HMRC Tax Checks

Eligibility criteria

A scrap metal dealer shall be classed as carrying on a business in the Local Authority area if any of the following apply:

  • the dealer occupies a place as a scrap metal store in the area
  • the dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but has a usual place of residence in the area
  • the dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but occupies a place for business purposes

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

Applicants must provide the following:

  • their full name
  • the address of the dealer, or in the case of a company, their registered or principal office
  • the address of each place occupied as a scrap metal store, if any
  • if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store
  • if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store but the applicant occupies a place for the purposes of business, and the address of such a place

The registered dealer must notify the local authority of any changes to these details or if they cease to be a scrap metal dealer.


Type Price
Initial grant of Site Licence £570.00
Initial grant of Collectors Licence £330.00
Renewal of Site Licence £510.00
Renewal of Collectors Licence £330.00
Variation Collector to Site Licence £240.00
Variation Site to Collector Licence £75.00
Variation (minor admin, such as change of address £37.50
Change of Site Manager £121.00
Copy of any Licence £12.00

Payment can be made using the following details

Nat West Bank PLC

Sort Code – 60 14 05

Bank Account – 67834000

Payee – Thanet District Council


Before applying please read the Guidance for Scrap Metal Applicants

Apply now

Download Form

Failed Application redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence Holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.


“Sex Establishment” means a sex cinema or a sex shop.

To run a sex shop – ie any premises selling sex toys, books or videos – you may need a licence from the Local Authority.  To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you may also need a licence from the Local Authority.

Eligibility criteria

An applicant

  • must be at least 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.

Application evaluation process

Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached.

Applications must be in writing (including by electronic means) and contain any information the local authority requires, as well as the applicant’s name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age, plus the address of the premises.

Applicants will be required to advertise their application by placing a public notice in a local newspaper or similar publication.  This must appear within 7 days of submitting the application.

Applicants must also clearly display a notice of their application on or near the premises and in a place where the notice can conveniently be read by the public for 21 days from the date of the application.

Each member of staff working at the premises is required to complete a Staff Disclosure Form with a passport-sized photograph.

Apply now

Regulation summary A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Public Notice Template

Staff Disclosure Form – to be completed by all staff employed in a sex establishment

Standard Licence Conditions for SexShop/Sex Cinema

Thanet Council does not change or renew sex shop or sex cinema licences and requires a new full application for any amendments

Payment details

The fee will be £1290.00 for the grant of a licence or annual renewal or transfer, to be paid to:

Payee: Thanet District Council

National Westminster Bank PLC

Sort code – 60 14 05

Bank Account – 67834000


If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from the Local Authority in England and Wales.

You must comply with any conditions attached to an authorisation.

If you are performing in Scotland, you must have permission, or the premises must hold a premises or other entertainment licence. Permission in Scotland is obtained from the authority issuing the premises licences.

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Apply now

Please note that you will be making your application to Thanet Council via Gov.Uk’s online licensing service (UK Welcomes) . There is no charge for using this facility.

Will Tacit consent apply

Tacit consent will apply after twenty working days.


Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance


Apply for a street collection permit

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, you require a street collection permit.

It is not just ‘streets’ that are covered – you’ll need a licence if you collect money in public areas, eg a shop doorway or car park.

Please apply at least four weeks before your collection date, so that paperwork and information can be checked in time to issue a permit.

You do not need a permit if you are fundraising by direct debit.

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

How to Apply

To apply please complete the online form below.

There is no fee for this permit

Application Form

You are required to keep records of any income and expenditure relating to your street collection using our returns form below.   This must be submitted to us within one month of the collection date.  Failure to comply with this requirement is a legal requirement and could mean any future requests for Street Collection Permits will be refused.

Returns Form





Do I need to apply for a licence with Thanet District Council?

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 aims to ensure that where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals, they do so in circumstances which create no risk to the public and which safeguard the welfare of the animals. 

Any person that wishes to keep any Dangerous Wild Animals in Thanet must obtain a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence from Thanet District Council. 

The Act does not apply to any dangerous wild animal kept in: 

  • a zoo; 
  • a circus; 
  • premises licensed as a pet shop; 
  • a place (which is a designated establishment within the meaning of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986. 

A person is held to be the keeper of the animal if they have it in their possession. They remain the ‘keeper’ and therefore are responsible for the animal, even if it escapes or it is being transported etc.


The applicant 

Any applicant for a DWA licence must:

  • be at least 18 years old; 
  • own and process, or propose to own and possess, all of the animals that are to be included on the licence, unless there are circumstances which Thanet District Council consider exceptional; 
  • not have been disqualified under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 from keeping any dangerous wild animal. 


Considerations for applicants 

Before you apply for a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence you must consider the following: 

  • keeping any animal of the type listed in the attached schedule will require a great deal of commitment in order to ensure its well being. You should be certain that you are prepared to take on this commitment and have carried out the necessary research to ensure you are fully aware of the care and facilities which the type of animal you are going to keep requires; 
  • some animals of the types listed in Schedule can grow quite large and need adequate space for exercise. You should consider whether you have the space and adequate facilities to house the animal correctly. If you do not currently have adequate space or facilities, it may be that a substantial investment is needed to provide them and it may require planning permission; 
  • a condition of a Dangerous Wild Animal licence is that adequate insurance cover is provided. Please take this into account in determining whether or not you can afford to keep an animal listed; 
  • consider whether you are able to afford to pay for vets bills; the animal you may be proposing to keep might require treatment from a specialist veterinary practitioner. You could find this will cost more than simply going to your local veterinary practitioner;
  • consider if you should discuss the issue of having an animal which requires a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence at your premises with your immediate neighbors (where applicable). Some applications may involve also making an application for planning permission, the processing of which could involve taking into account their comments and concerns; 
  • you may need to source a supplier for the type of food required to satisfy the dietary requirements for the animal you intend to keep; 
  •  some animals will produce waste products which are difficult to dispose of e.g. big cat excreta. You will need to make arrangements for this.
  • you will need to make adequate arrangements to ensure that all feed kept on site is stored in suitable vermin proof containers and that all waste food is removed regularly so as not to attract vermin. You may wish to seek advice from an appropriate pest control contractor in relation to adequate means of vermin control/proofing


The application process 

To apply for a Dangerous Wild Animals licence, applicants must complete and submit an application form with the relevant fee. Thanet District Council will arrange for an authorised veterinary surgeon/practitioner to undertake an inspection of the premises and produce a report, which the Council is legally obliged to consider when determining the application. The fee for this service is additional to the standard licence fee. 

Thanet District Council will not grant a licence unless satisfied that: 

  • it would not be contrary to the public interest on the grounds of safety, nuisance or otherwise; 
  • the applicant is a suitable person to hold a licence and is adequately insured; 
  • animals will be held in secure accommodation to prevent them from escaping; 
  • accommodation for animals is suitable with regards to the construction, size, temperature lighting, ventilation, drainage and cleanliness, and which is suitable for the number of animals proposed to be held in the accommodation;
  • animals are provided with adequate food, drink and bedding materials and will be visited at suitable intervals;
  • appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of any animal concerned in case of fire or other emergency;
  • appropriate steps will be taken to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases; 
  • While any animal concerned is at the premises where it will normally be held, its accommodation is such that it can take adequate exercise. 


How long does a licence last? 

A licence is valid for 2 years and comes into force on the day on which it is granted. 

Licences must be renewed before their expiry if the licence holder is to continue to keep the animal(s) named on the licence. Licence holders will receive a written reminder from Thanet Council prior to the expiry of their licence. In the event of death of anyone to whom a licence has been granted, the licence shall continue in force for a period of 28 days as if it had been granted to the personal representatives of the deceased. After a period of 28 days the licence expires, unless application is made for a new licence within that time, in which case it continues, until the new application is determined 


What conditions will be attached to a licence? 

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 provides standard conditions that must be specified on a licence. As part of the licence conditions, you are required to ensure that you have adequate Public Liability Insurance which provides cover for the animal(s) which you have on site. 

You must ensure that any policy you take out provides sufficient cover against any damage which may be caused by the animal should it escape. The level of insurance will depend on many factors which may include the species and number of animals you wish to keep.


Rights of entry 

Authorised offices are entitled to enter premises either licensed under the Act or specified in an application for a licence, at all reasonable times, producing if required their authority, and the authorised officers may inspect these premises and any animal in them. 


Powers of seizure 

In addition to powers of inspection, the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 also gives the Council powers to seize any animal being kept on premises which are unlicensed or failing to comply with a condition of their licence. 


Offences and penalties 

The following offences and penalties apply: 

  • any person found guilty of keeping an animal covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 without a licence shall be subject to a fine not exceeding level 5 (currently £5,000); 
  • any person found guilty of failing to comply with any licence condition shall be subject to a fine not exceeding level 5 (currently £5000); 
  • any person found guilty of obstructing or delaying an Inspector or Authorised Veterinary Practitioner or Veterinary Surgeon shall be subject to a fine not exceeding level 5 (currently £5000). 
  • Where a person is convicted of any offence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, or of any offence under; ● The Protection of Animals Acts 1911; 
  • The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925; 
  • The Pet Animals Act 1951; 
  • The Animals (Cruel Poisons) Act 1962; 
  • The Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963; 
  • The Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970;
  • Breeding of Dogs Act 1973; 
  • Animal Welfare Act 2006, Sections 4,5,6(1)(2), 7 to 9 and 11; 

the court by which he is convicted may cancel any licence held by him under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, and may, whether or not he is the holder of such a licence, disqualify him from keeping any dangerous wild animal for such period as the court thinks fit. The cancellation or disqualification may be suspended by the Court in the event of an appeal. 

Schedule Kinds of Dangerous Wild Animals


How to apply? 

Please complete and submit a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence application form with the application fee of £357.50

TDC bank details

National Westminster Bank PLC

Sort Code – 60 14 05

Bank Account – 67834000

Payee – Thanet District Council


Application forms should be sent to Licensing@thanet.gov.uk or Licensing, Thanet District Council, P.O. Box 9, Margate Kent CT9 1XZ


The Zoo Licensing Act 1981 requires the Local Authority to issue licences to all Zoo’s within its area. For licensing purposes “zoo” means an establishment where wild animals (as defined by section 21) are kept for exhibition to the public other than for purposes of a circus (as so defined) and a pet shop (as so defined). The Act applies to any zoo to which members of the public have access, with or without charge for admission, on more than seven days in any period of 12 consecutive months.

Zoo operators have to comply with the Secretary of State’s Standards of Modern Zoo Practice. These standards cover animal welfare, environmental issues, conservation, education and research.

Sites will be regularly inspected by a team of experts, including up two

Government-appointed inspectors.

These inspectors, usually veterinary practitioners, are appointed for their knowledge of the animals within the zoological collection and their experience in managing zoological parks of comparable size.

The costs of inspection and administration for the licence are charged to the zoo operator. In years where there is no full inspection, an informal inspection is made by Council Officers.

Making an application

The licensing of zoos is a specialist field and regulation complex.

If you are thinking of setting up a zoo, it is recommended that you contact us first for advice and guidance before starting the application process.

The Local Authority cannot consider an application unless at least 3 months’ notice of the application has been given, plus publication of details in a local and national newspaper, and a notice placed at the site.

The Local Authority must consult the police, fire authority, governing body of any national institute concerned with zoos, the adjoining authority if the zoo overlaps the area of that authority, and any person wishing to object on grounds of alleged injurious effect on the health or safety of persons living in the area.

The Local Authority must arrange an inspection by a consultant inspector from the list of suitable inspectors nominated by the Secretary of State.

A zoo licence is valid for four years. The fee for a Zoo licence is £1,150.

Application and Guidance


Applications under the Gambling Act 2005

Non-conversion application fee in respect of provisional statement premises

Description Fee
Bingo premise licence £985
Adult gaming centre premises licence £985
Betting premises (track) licence £795
Family entertainment centre premises licence £795
Betting premises (other) licence £985

Non-conversion application fee in respect of other premises

Description Fee
Bingo premises licence £5,850
Adult gaming centre premises licence £1,640
Betting premises (track) licence £2,025
Family entertainment centre premises licence £1,640
Betting premises (other) licence £2,460

First annual fee and annual fee

Description Fee
Converted casino premises licence £2,460
Bingo premises licence £820
Adult gaming centre premises licence £820
Betting premises (track) licence £820
Family entertainment centre premises licence £615
Betting premises (other) licence £495

Fee for application to vary licence

Description Fee
Converted casino premises licence £1,640
Bingo premises licence £1,430
Adult gaming centre premises licence £820
Betting premises (track) licence £1,015
Family entertainment centre premises licence £820
Betting premises (other) licence £1,225

Fee for application to transfer a licence

Description Fee
Converted casino premises licence £1,130
Bingo premises licence £985
Adult gaming centre premises licence £985
Betting premises (track) licence £795
Family entertainment centre premises licence £795
Betting premises (other) licence £985

Fee for application for reinstatement of a licence

Description Fee
Converted casino premises licence £1,130
Bingo premises licence £985
Adult gaming centre premises licence £985
Betting premises (track) licence £795
Family entertainment centre premises licence £795
Betting premises (other) licence £985

Fee for application for provisional statement

Description Fee
Bingo premises licence £2,850
Adult gaming centre premises licence £1,605
Betting premises (track) licence £1,985
Family entertainment centre premises licence £1,605
Betting premises (other) licence £2,410
Prize permit application or renewal £300
Family entertainment centre gaming machine permit or renewal £300
Change of name of family entertainment centre/prize permit £25
Copy of family entertainment centre/prize permit £15
Change of circumstances, residence etc. S. 186. £30
Copy of licence £15
Club machine permit £200
Club machine permit renewal £100
Club machine permit annual fee £50
Club machine permit change of circumstances £30
Copy of club machine permit £15
Licensed Premises gaming machine permit £50
Licensed Premises gaming machine permit transfer £25
Licensed Premises gaming machine permit variation £100
Licensed Premises gaming machine permit change of circumstances £30
Copy of licensed premises gaming machine permit £15

Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.