Changes that might affect your Council Tax

We need to know about changes in your circumstances that may affect the Council Tax that you are liable to pay.

Examples of changes that may affect your Council Tax are:

  • If you change address.
  • If you are getting a single person discount and another adult moves in.
  • If you are a single parent getting a single person discount and one of your children reaches 18 years old.
  • If you are getting a discount disregard and the disregarded person moves out, or the reason for the discount no longer exists, such as a student completing their course.
  • If you are getting disability relief and the disabled person no longer lives with you.
  • If your property is exempt and the reason for exemption no longer exists.
  • If your property is empty and the property becomes occupied.
  • If you are getting Council Tax Support and your income or capital increases or decreases.

This is not a complete list.

Other changes can affect your bill, such as leaving the property empty. You can find out more on the discounts and exemptions pages.

Tell us straight away

If there has been a change in your circumstances you must tell us straight away, in writing, giving full details of what the changes are. If you are in doubt about any change, tell us anyway.

In some cases, if you fail to tell us about a change, we can take legal action against you.

When you tell us about a change in your circumstances, we will have another look at the situation and, if necessary, work out your Council Tax charge again. If there is a new charge we will send you a new Council Tax bill.

Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.