Thanet boasts a number of beaches and bays where water activities are permitted including: fishing, jet skiing, sailing, speed boats and water skiing. See the information below for launching facilities and contact details. For enquiries, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please follow the Coastal Codes when visiting our beaches and bays.
Join the Water User Group
Applications are now closed for the membership year 2023/2024. Membership applications for 1 April 2024 to 31 March 2025 will open from April 2024.
Only launch at designated launching areas specific to your craft
- Barriers must be kept locked at all times after entry and exit and when not in use.
- Barriers must be kept clear and unobstructed as Emergency Services require 24-hour access.
- Only approved individuals are allowed to launch at designated sites pertaining to your craft.
- Water Users must hold third party marine liability insurance for £5 million to cover craft use.
- Water Users are recommended to hold RYA Level 1 and 2 qualifications or equivalent qualifications.
- All members must abide by the Thanet Coastal Codes – including codes for Powercraft Activities; Wind Powered Activities; and the Kent Personal Watercraft Code of Conduct.
- Craft must not exceed eight knots inshore (300 metres).
- Craft must not enter or moor in a bathing area.
- Members must display their Water User Group registration number on their vehicle and craft.
- Members must not issue their key to anybody else.
- Members must not cause a danger or nuisance to other beach users, water users, or members of the public.
- Members must not enter the national nature reserve areas at Pegwell Bay and Sandwich Bay.
- Members must not annoy or cause danger to wildlife on the seashore and should abide by the North East Kent Marine Wildlife Watching Code.
- Members must not damage the chalk reef.
- Members must comply with all local car parking regulations.
- Members are encouraged to report any vandalism, anti-social behaviour or other foul play.
- Members are responsible for their own safety and should be aware of all of the risks involved, particularly around the use of watercraft, slipways, barriers and manoeuvring vehicles.
- The copying of issued barrier keys
- Leaving barriers open for non-group members to access
- Launching of craft that is not permitted at a particular site
- The use of craft in a manner that poses a risk to the safety of people or wildlife
- The use of craft in a manner that has the potential to cause harassment, alarm and distress to any other beach or coast users, or residents
You can find more information on Beach Safety on the RNLI website
Failure to comply with these rules and regulations may result in the loss of your right to launch from the Isle of Thanet.Permalink
- Minnis Bay, Birchington – Launching permitted for fishing boats and sail craft.
- Beresford Gap, Birchington -Launching facilities are not part of the water user group. Launching facilities for speed boats, jet skis and waterskiing are designated for members of the Beresford Water Ski Club only. Please contact Leigh Flockhart at email@example.com or 07808 232011.
- Viking Bay, Broadstairs
Launching permitted for sail craft and fishing boats. Moorings available – fees apply. Contact the Harbour Office on 01843 572100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Foreness Bay, Cliftonville – Launching permitted for fishing boats, speed boats and water skiing.
- Palm Bay/Hodge’s Gap, Cliftonville – Launching facilities are not part of the water user group. Launching for PWC (jet ski, jet bikes, wet bikes only) are operated by Jet Ski World (cafe/showers/toilets). Fees apply, contact Jet Ski World on 01843 231703.
- Margate (front) Harbour – Launching permitted for sail craft and fishing boats. Moorings available – fees apply. Contact the Harbour Office on 01843 572100 or email@example.com
- Margate (rear) Harbour
Launching permitted for sail craft, fishing boats and speed boats.
- Ramsgate Harbour – Launching facilities at Ramsgate Harbour are not part of the water user group. Launching permitted for fishing boats, sail craft and speed boats. Launching and mooring fees apply. Contact the Harbour Office on 01843 572100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eastern Undercliff, Ramsgate – Launching permitted for PWC (jet ski, jet bikes, wet bikes only).
- Westbrook/Barnes Car Park – Launching permitted for speed boats and water skiing.
- West Bay, Westgate (western slipway) – Launching permitted for fishing boats and sail craft. Max 14ft, Max 20HP. Hand launching only during summer months 1st June to 30th September
- West Bay, Westgate (eastern slipway – by kiosk and beach huts) – Launching permitted for fishing boats and sail craft. No launching during summer months 1st June to 30th September.
- St Mildred’s Bay, Westgate -Launching permitted for fishing boats and sail craft. No launching permitted between 9am and 6pm during summer months 1st June to 30th September.