What is the Empty Property Initiative doing to increase the number of available homes?

Bringing homes back into use

The council is committed to reducing the amount of empty property in the district to increase the number of homes available, and to improve the local area.

Report an empty property to us

If you know of an empty property near you, let us know about it.  If you are the owner of an empty property and would like our help, please tell us.

Watch our video explaining how to get in touch.

  • Email us at empty.homes@thanet.gov.uk with the address and details of the owner if you know who they are.
  • Phone the Empty Property Team direct on 01843 577059.

How we can help

There are a number of ways that this initiative can help owners and prospective purchasers of empty properties.  We can offer interest-free loans to landlords, owners and developers toward renovation costs.

Working in partnership with Kent County Council, these interest free loans are available through the No Use Empty scheme.  Loans of up to £25,000 are available for anyone wishing to renovate a property that has been empty for six months or more.  Find out more information on the No Use Empty web site. 

If you feel that you could benefit from a loan under this Scheme, or want to know more, please contact the council's Empty Property Team on 01843 577059.

Finding an empty property

Please note that we do not publish lists of empty property in the district.  Our decision follows a High Court case involving the Information Commissioner and a London Borough Council. Briefly, it was ruled inappropriate to provide such a list owing to data protection issues for the owners and concerns raised by the Police in making such information widely available could result in empty properties being targeted by vandals/thieves.

Local estate agents will be able to help prospective purchasers.

What else is the council doing?

The council is targeting resources into bringing back empty homes into use itself.  Through the 'Live Margate' regeneration progrmme, the council is converting empty property into high quality family units.

Enforcement action

Where negotiations with an owner have been exhausted, the Authority has powers to take enforcement action against an owner to carry out repair works. As an absolute last resort, a Compulsory Purchase Order could be made, particularly if the property has fallen into serious disrepair.

View case studies

See properties that have been brought back into use with help from the council.