Help to adapt your home for a disabled person

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) will help you to adapt your home to cope better with a disability. The  Housing Regeneration Team administers the disabled facilities grants.

Grants are given to owners or tenants to help provide essential adaptations to enable an occupant to use or access their home.  The maximum grant given is £30,000.  Examples of adaptations include:

  • Providing ramps to allow a person to get in and out of their house
  • Stair lifts and through floor lifts
  • Level access showers for people who can not use a conventional shower or bath
  • Moving light switches, power sockets or heating controls to correct height for occupants

Grants will be given based on a means test and some applicants are required to pay some or all of the costs of the works from their own resources. Every applicant will always be told what their contribution will be before they make the decision on whether to have a grant.

The first stage of enquiring about a grant is to contact the County Duty Service at Social Services on 03000 416161 and ask for an Occupational Therapy assessment.

Help at home

The Home Improvement Agency has created a new website aimed at helping people to live independently at home.

Town and Country Housing may also be able to help you carry out repairs and energy efficiency improvements.  Our Housing Assistance Policy gives more details of the help that may be available.


Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.