Supplementary Planning Documents and Guidance
All documents can be viewed in our document library
Introduction to Thanet Heritage Strategy
The Council have appointed Drury McPherson Partnership to prepare a Heritage Strategy for Thanet District Council, forming evidence to support the emerging Local Plan.
The Heritage Strategy will provide a strategic and clear approach to managing Thanet’s rich heritage. The Strategy will also promote Thanet’s heritage and demonstrate how its special character can contribute to the regeneration of the District, supporting economic growth and tourism whilst enhancing public awareness of the historic environment and facilitating public engagement.
Formal consultation on the Heritage Strategy is expected to occur in September 2017.
The Draft Cliftonville character appraisal documents are currently being considered as part of this work, although this will not necessarily result in the designation of new conservation areas.
Draft Character appraisal and management plans for Cliftonville.
- Draft Edgar Road and Sweyne Road Character Appraisal
- Draft Grotto Hill Character Appraisal
- Draft Northdown Road Character Appraisal Part 1
- Draft Northdown Road Character Appraisal Part 2
- Draft Cliftonville Clifftop Character Appraisal
- Draft Ethelbert Road and Athelstan Road Character Appraisal
- Draft Norfolk Road and Surrey Road Character Appraisal
- Cliftonville Suggested C Areas II
- National Planning Policy Framework
- Thanet Council Planning Service
- Planning policy evidence base
- The Oxford Toolkit
- Statutory Listed properties in Britain – Heritage Gateway
- Conservation areas in Thanet
- Kent Historic Environment Record
- English Heritage Publications
Landscape Character Assessment SPD
The Landscape Character Assessment was formally adopted as a Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) by the Council on 9th July 2020. The Landscape Character Assessment provides further detailed guidance to support adopted Local Plan policies that promote local distinctiveness through appropriate land management in association with future changes to the landscape. The supplementary planning document forms part of the Council’s planning policy framework and is now a material consideration in the determination of planning applications.
Planning Obligations and Developer Contributions
The Planning Obligations and Developer Contributions Supplementary Planning document was adopted by the Council in April 2010 and forms part of the Development Plan for Thanet. It will assist both developers and the community in understanding what is required and when.
Kent Design Guide
The Kent Design Guide (KCC) was adopted as a Supplementary Planning Document by Thanet District Council on 14th December 2006 and forms part of the Development Plan for Thanet.
Kent Design has been produced by the Kent Design Initiative – a partnership consisting of:
- Kent’s local authorities
- professional organisations
- academic bodies
- interest groups.
The Guide provides the criteria necessary for assessing planning applications. It will help building designers, engineers, planners and developers achieve high standards of design and construction; and it will provide planning committee members and officers with the tools to refuse consent for poor design.
Planning guidance leaflets
The planning guidance leaflets comprise the following documents:
- Shopfront design (560kb .PDF) – added April 2002
- Shopfront security shutters (539kb .PDF) – added April 2002
- Conservation areas (837kb .PDF) – added April 2002
- Conversion of shops to residential accommodation (1,138kb .PDF) – added April 2002
- Conversion to flats – guidelines (791kb .PDF) – added August 2002