Alterations to a leasehold property

View the FAQ’s below if you would like to make any alterations to your leasehold property


You need our permission for any alterations. This includes replacing a kitchen or bathroom, adding a satellite dish, removing internal walls and replacing front doors.

Any conditional approval is given by Thanet District Council as your landlord, not as the planning or building regulation authority. You may also need to contact another section of the council to get approval for alterations. For example, for building regulations or planning permission.


You need to complete the following form:


For all works we may request the following:

  1. A layout plan of the whole property as it is now before the works including all rooms (even those not affected by the works).
  2. A layout plan of the whole property as it will be after the works including all rooms (even those not affected by the works).
  3. Existing and proposed routes of plumbing if they are being changed.
  4. For showers and wet rooms details of how walls and floors will be made waterproof.
  5. For bathrooms, shower rooms and kitchens, details for air extraction systems. Showing how and where they will leave the property.
  6. For central heating systems, details of the existing and proposed location of the boiler. Showing how and where flue and pressure relief pipes will leave the building.
  7. If you plan to move any whole or part of a load bearing wall you must provide a supporting structural engineer’s report.

You must submit any plans and supporting paperwork that is requested to Thanet District Council.  If approved, permission is given with certain conditions.


Your property could contain asbestos-based building materials or components. Especially if it was built before 1980. If you think that asbestos is present and that your proposals may affect it, you must use a member of the Asbestos Removal Contractors Association. They must do any removal or adaptation works. Asbestos fibres must not be released outside your property. Asbestos-containing materials or waste must not be carried through, worked on, handled or kept in the communal parts of the building or estate without giving  notice. Notice must be not less than 7 days from the date you plan to start the work.



No. Unless we give specific permission, no soil, waste, gas, water or heating pipework, electrical cables or any other services, components or equipment of any kind can be chased into the floors above or below the flat, the external walls or load carrying walls. This is because this part of the structure is owned by Thanet District Council.


If any part of the structure next to the works is found to be damaged by the building works. Or if any part of any other property is damaged by the works. It will be replaced, repaired or adapted as required by Thanet District Council. You will be charged for this work.


Work to the electrical installations must comply with BS 7671 and Part P: 2006 of the building regulations (2010 amendments) and must be carried out by a competent electrician registered as a domestic installer with NICEIC, IEE or ECA.

Your electrician must give you the appropriate certificates. Copies of these must be provided.




All gas installations must be carried out by a qualified Gas Safe Registered Engineer. When the work is complete, you must be given a Gas Safety Record. You must provide us with copies.


Front Doors

If you are thinking about changing your front door, you must make sure that it is a Fire Safety front door. You must ask for our permission before you fit it.

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 requires a fire risk assessment of the common areas only. This includes the front doors of individual flats. The responsibility to arrange the assessment lies with Thanet District Council.  You must not alter your front door without taking advice from us on the implications it has on fire safety. Your front door should be a Fire Safety door fitted with a self-closing device to meet the current fire safety guidance for flats. A Fire Safety door is essential. If there is a fire in your property it will not easily burn through or let smoke into the communal areas.

Changing the letterbox or adding a cat flap can affect the fire safety of your building and the common escape routes.


If we give permission for new windows, it won’t stop the leaseholder being charged costs incurred by Thanet District Council for the maintenance, repair and improvement of the remaining windows of the block.

Any new window will become part of the structure of the building. It will be our responsibility as the landlord, under the terms of your lease.


We are not able to withhold consent without good reason. We will explain our reasons to you if we refuse your request.


Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.