Complain about a councillor

Complain about the conduct of a Councillor

To complain about the conduct of a member of Thanet District Council or a member of one of the Parish or Town Councils in Thanet please complete our online form.

Standards Complaints

Members of the public concerned about the conduct of Thanet District Councillors or Town/Parish Councillors can make complaints directly to Thanet District Council’s Standards Committee.

Local Code of Conduct and Complaints against Councillors

All Councillors have to keep to a Code of Conduct (available as part of the Council’s Constitution) to ensure they maintain the high ethical standards the public expect from them. If a complainant reveals that a potential breach of this Code has taken place, Thanet District Council’s Standards Committee may refer the allegations for investigation or decide to take other action.

What kind of complaints does the standards committee consider?

The Standards Committee can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a member.  It will not deal with complaints about things that are not covered by the Members’ Code of Conduct, such as maladministration.  If you make a complaint to the Standards Committee it must be about why you think a Councillor has not followed the Code of Conduct.

In assessing whether or not a breach of the Code of Conduct has occurred the Standards Committee will have regard to assessment criteria approved by the Standards Committee.

Once cases have been investigated, the authority’s independently-chaired Standards Committee will decide what action, if any, should be taken against the member.

Complain in writing

If you prefer to submit your complaint in writing, please download a complaint form and return to The Monitoring Officer,  Thanet District Council, PO Box 9, Cecil Street, Margate, Kent, CT9 1XZ.


Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.