Ramsgate Tunnels

Brief description

The Tunnels are run by the Ramsgate Heritage Regeneration Trust (RHRT).  The Tunnels are open to visitors between Wednesday and Sunday with four guided tours per day. Ramsgate Tunnels consist of the original Victorian Railway Tunnel and Chalk Air Raid Tunnels.

The railway tunnel was originally opened in 1863 and closed in 1965. In March 1939, approval was given for permission to build the chalk air raid tunnels.

The Victorian Railway Tunnel is approximately 7 metres wide by 7 metres high to the centre of the arched roof and ¾ mile long. There is a network of smaller chalk dug tunnels, coming off the main railway tunnel.  These are approximately 6 feet wide and 7 feet high with several sets of stairs both concrete and chalk.  There is a smaller spur tunnel which was used for the electric train dug as an additional route.

The tunnels have a constant temperature of around 11 degrees Celsius.



Pay & display car park with 26 spaces immediately adjacent to The Tunnels with additional car parking at the end of the road (100 + spaces) (0.2miles)


Toilet Block is open from April to September (9am to 8pm) and the Ramsgate Tunnels have access between October and March.


There is a small café within the Tunnel facilities and there are cafés and restaurants less than a five minute walk away in the harbour area of Ramsgate.

Help & support

Did you find this page useful?

  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.