The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise from the nation that those who serve or served in the Armed Forces and their families, are treated fairly and not disadvantaged in their daily lives
If you are a member of the armed forces community, we are committed to providing easy access to the services and support you are entitled to.
You will find information below on the local Armed Forces Community Covenant, our support network as well as a ‘signpost’ to key organisations that can offer help and support.
Health & Wellbeing
If you or someone you know is struggling with health problems, you should contact your GP or NHS Direct
The following organisations specialise in health support for Armed Forces communities, Veterans and their families:
- NHS Choices and military healthcare – insight to the full healthcare services provided to the armed forces community including a list of GP surgeries
- Combat Stress (The Veterans’ mental health charity)
- Big White Wall – anonymous peer support community, offering self-help programmes, creative outlets.
- Blind Veterans – helping ex-Service personnel lead independent and fulfilling lives
Help and support in the community
Information on funding opportunities for charities and organisations supporting Service personnel, Veterans and their families
Before applying for any funding, please contact CommunitySupport@thanet.gov.uk to discuss your application. It is recommended that all applications seek a letter of approval from the Covenant Steering Group. We can offer advice and guidance. Permalink
Organisations and charities
There are a number of organisations and charities for Service personnel, Veterans and their families, who offer support and advice
- Kent and Medway Civilian Military Partnership Board – Actively oversees and implements the Kent Community Covenant
- Help for Heroes – Provide support for physical and emotional rehabilitation and recovery. Identify new career opportunities and offer financial and welfare support.
- Ministry of Defence – providing specific information on support services for military and defence personnel and their families
- SSAFA – the Armed Forces charity, exists to relieve need, suffering and distress amongst the Armed Forces, veterans and their families in order to support their independence and dignity.
- The Royal Airforces Association – supporting members of the RAF family current and veterans
- The Royal British Legion – provide financial, social and emotional support to members and veterans
- The Royal Naval Association – provides access to welfare advice, social activities and events for the Naval members and veterans