Applications for the Local Restrictions Support Grant are now open | Apply online here | Last updated: November 18, 4:15 pm


        Your Council Tax bill explained

        The Council Tax you pay goes towards local services such as policing, fire services, education, parks and household rubbish collections.

        The amount you pay depends on the area that you live in and which property band your home is given. Your bill will be adjusted if you qualify for any of the Council Tax discounts or exemptions, or if you qualify for help with your Council Tax because you have a low income.

        Council Tax charges 2020/21


        In this area, a ‘precept’ is a charge collected on behalf of Thanet District Council, Kent County Council, The Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent, Kent and Medway Fire and Rescue Authority and our parish councils, town councils and charter trustees.

        We collect the Council Tax on behalf of all these authorities. Find out more about where your Council Tax goes

        Information from other authorities who deliver services in your area:

        The adult social care precept

        The adult social care precept is an amount charged by Kent County Council to help fund adult social care. More about the adult social care precept

        Premiums for empty properties

        An additional amount of Council Tax (a ‘premium’) is charged when a property has been empty for two years or more. From 1 April 2020, the following premiums apply:

        • for properties that have been empty and substantially unfurnished for two years, but less than five years, the premium remains set at 100%
        • for properties that have been empty and substantially unfurnished for five years or more, the premium will increase to 200%.

        Find out more about the long-term empty premium.

        Kent County Council’s offer to care leavers

        If you’re leaving care to become independent and you’re aged between 16 and 21, Kent County Council may be able to help support you through their local offer. If you have left care, and Kent County Council has appointed you a personal adviser, please pass your Council Tax bill to them to arrange payment.

        You can find out more on the Kent County Council website

        If you disagree with your Council Tax bill

        If you appeal against your Council Tax, you must continue with your regular payments until your appeal has been dealt with.

        If you don’t pay your Council Tax

        The Council Tax is a priority bill that must be paid by everyone who is liable.

        If Council Tax is not paid as and when it is due, we will take recovery action which could mean costs being added to your account.

        Further information

        Did you find this page useful?